Chapter 7: Strange Sighting

Maia paused in the lobby of the Hotel Plaza Athénée to check her reflection in the mirror. She'd arranged her hair into a carefully crafted chignon. Gone were the jeans and loose sweater that lately were her standard attire. Instead, she wore a tightly wrapped sheath dress in coral silk and heels. It was a sophisticated professional look Electra would applaud. She was calm and cool. If she kept repeating it to herself, maybe she'd believe it.

Inside her heart was beating so fast she was sure Electra would notice it. She'd never defied Electra. Never even dreamed she'd want to. But for Sam's sake, for Neal's sake, she had to make the effort. This was the first time Electra had ever fed off someone Maia had chosen. As for Neal, only a couple of months ago Electra had castigated Alcy for not exercising restraint with the artist in Connecticut. Based on Crowley's report, Electra was devouring Neal at an even faster rate.

Maia smoothed an errant lock of hair behind her ear. The gilt mirrors, chandeliers, and exuberant floral murals of the lobby were appropriate for her sister. The rococo extravagance used to suit her as well, but no longer. She took a slow breath and pressed the elevator button.

Electra arrived yesterday from New Haven. She planned to attend the Mabon celebration at Inwood Hill Park this evening. She was now able to tap into not only the prayers of the Wiccans but the applicants to her foundation. Columbia University, Broadway producers, art galleries, even that small community theater association that Neal's friend Elizabeth was a member of—they all made her more powerful.

Electra smiled her approval when Maia entered the suite. "You have exquisite timing. I just received a new selection of blood. We can sample them together." Electra gestured for her to take a seat on the ivory velvet sofa. She'd already placed the crystal bottles and glasses on a side cart.

Maia wondered who her supplier was. She suspected it was one of the pure-bloods, but Electra hadn't provided any of the details about her children since the near disaster in Shepherdstown. Had Electra grown suspicious of her? Were Maia's efforts to influence her doomed from the start?

"You'll like this one," Electra said, pouring her a glass. "According to the bio, he's a poet who already has several published works to his name. He'd make an ideal protégé."

Maia eyed the glass with loathing. She hadn't drunk a drop of blood since she and Sam started dating. Once she abstained, her memories of who she'd been before Electra abducted her began to resurface. Maia had suspected for a while that Electra could cast a spell to make blood addictive. Only recently did she realize that it also enthralled her.

She'd hoped to dissuade Electra from feeding off Sam and Neal by being the adoring little sister Electra wanted her to be. But if she tasted blood, would she even care what happened to them?

She should have realized this was exactly the sort of trick Electra would play. Maia set the glass down on the cocktail table without taking a sip. "How long have you been feeding off Sam?"

"I should ask you the same question. When did you stop?"

"Why are you doing this? Or do you want to kill him simply for the pleasure of it?"

Electra flinched as if Maia had struck her. Recovering quickly, she hissed, "Careful, my love. Remember who I am. It's become painfully clear you're besotted over him. You've forgotten who you are. My sister. My handmaiden. You live to serve me. No one else."

"So to punish me, you'll kill Sam?"

Electra nodded coldly. "He'll be no loss. His value as an artist is nil."

"What if I stop seeing him? Will it make any difference?" Out of the corner of her eye, Maia saw a rustling in the curtains. Scarbo's head peeked out, a lecherous leer on his face. If Maia hadn't been staying with Sam, the demon would have visited him the past three nights. Did that mean he was concentrating on Neal even more?