chapter 8 - ice

hey everyone, thanks for getting this far. i am starting to really like the way this is going...

Dillon leads me into a black jeep with similarly suspicious tinted windows. He is obviously trying to remain hidden. So much so that the car is no longer hidden and standing conspicuously out in the crowd. No one in their right mind would tint their windows so dark that they can't even see into them.

The black seats were leather with modern technology everywhere. The dashboard has a screen on it with all the new features, and the back seats are heated. Surprisingly, Dillon drove. I would have thought he would have a driver.

"Why are you helping me?" I ask.

"I would help anyone," he answers simply. I nodded. I still don't know his motivations, but I'm too exhausted to figure them out. I can do that later. The drive to wherever was filled with awkward small talk.

"What happened to you?" he questions. I sigh uncertainly. I have absolutely no trust in him, and let's not forget to mention that I barely know the guy. The last time we spoke, he looked at me as if I was a piece of dirt.

I could tell him everything or just tell him vaguely. I won't be able to lie.

"I got into a car accident."

"Was there anyone else there?"

What is this, an interrogation.

"No," I lie. Dillon glances dubiously towards me. I try not to squirm in my seat. Harvey isn't here - Dillon said he would come later - so anything could happen here, and no one would know. "Keep your eyes on the road, mister. I don't want to get into another accident," I demand.

He hums in agreement. Dillon keeps the music off. Unfortunately, that means for the rest of the drive, we just sat in silence. It was nearly 7 a.m.

I had only slept for around 2 hours in the last 24 hours. Additionally, I was kidnapped, got concussed, escaped from said kidnapping, walked for an hour, all while on the verge of mental breakdown. And to top it all off, the only friend that I had, Jesse, is now missing.

Just another day at the office.

We reach a gate with a long winding pathway up to a mansion.

Castle is probably a better description. Built on the side of the cliff and surrounded by endless amounts of trees, grass and shrubs, the castle is shaped like a horseshoe. From far away, it looks like it is built with sandstone. The main feature is a large stained glass window shaped like a pentagon.

"People won't know you, so please don't embarrass yourself when we go in there. First impressions are everything," Dillon told me, just as the mansion came into view. It is light now; the sunset had just passed.

I smile. "I think embarrassing me would be embarrassing you. So..." I trail off.

"Don't even think about it, L," he tells me. I cringe at the new nickname. I don't like nicknames.

"Think about what?" I reply, faking innocence.

We drive up to the gate surrounding the estate, which is made out of metal and brick, with barbed wire wrapped around the top. A man peers at us through the window.

I had decided in the drive to at least give them a chance. I know it sounds stupid, but Dillon had been really nice to me so far, so why couldn't everyone else be?

On the other hand, I also don't want to get on anyone's angry side. I don't want to be locked up, beaten, or god knows what else.

"Dillon Wright is here," he tells the guard.