chapter 1- carvings

TW - ASSAULT/TORTURE SCENE

6 MONTHS EARLIER:

They are closing in on me.

The raucous cacophony of footsteps and shouting echo behind me as I continue my dangerous descent down the staircase. The stairs are old and grand and tend to squeak a little whenever pressure is on them, old scratch marks carved into the railings from decades of use.

That sums up my prison - sorry, home. The house is antiquated and has many winding, tight hallways. It is a maze for people that aren't particularly familiar with the layout. I reach the bottom of the stairs with my pursuers right on my tail. The men holler at me; they are the predators, and I am the prey. I approach the front door and push it open.

The guards stationed at the door look at me in surprise before reaching out to grab me. I duck under their arms and sprint towards the forest. The Ashwood estate is known for the land it stands on. Beautiful landscapes, ancient ash trees and picturesque rolling hills are ubiquitously found throughout our estate.

Guards threaten to shoot me as I sprint towards the trees. I know they won't.

I'm their boss' daughter. Hated yes, but their child no less. Ever since that dreadful day, which still haunts my dreams, I've been an outcast. Rejected by my very own blood and all my friends. At first, I thought it was alright. We were all grieving. And grief is displayed in different ways.

But then it never stopped. For 8 years, I've been tortured, beaten and treated like a goddamn slave. I'm nearly at my limit. One day, they're going to hit me one too many times, drag me back onto my feet one day, and I will die.

The birds have gone silent in the forest, almost as if they are waiting to see what happens. The canopied trees cover the sky, leaving me in near darkness. I've never gotten this far; I'm usually stopped at the door. I have lost count of the numerous failed escape plans. I hear voices shout out behind me.

"Come out, come out wherever you are," he shouts in a singsong voice. The creepy tone sends shivers down my spine. I can't keep running because I don't have enough energy. They'll catch me too quickly.

I hide behind one of the thicker trunks and sit down. The crunch of the guards boots on the forest floor becomes louder and louder. "Are you behind this tree?" he says, humour lacing his voice. I peek around and see him shoot behind one of the trees in front of me.

I hastily, but also quietly, begin to climb up the tree. The tree is wide enough that I can scale it without being detected. I reach the top as soon as the guard walks into view. "What about this one?" he taunts. He spins around and points his rifle where I was standing. He slowly, whilst grinning sadistically, brings the aim of his gun up and onto me.

"There you are, bitch." My heart reaches my throat. I had been found

"Oh, look, you found me! What a surprise," I jeered back. "How are you gonna get me down. Maybe throw that boulder over there at me. Oh, you can't? Too weak, I guess." He snarls furiously.

"I'm just stating facts, butterfly."

~~

They got me down. The guard called in all of his friends, and they literally pushed me out of the tree. So, now I'm being dragged back to the house. The guard who had been chasing me decided that he should pull me by my hair. "You are such an asshole," I tell him.

"I know you like it rough, slut. Everyone's told me."

I'm sure all your rapist friends enjoyed it when I tried to claw their eyes out.

He smiled sickly towards me before whispering in my ear, "maybe I should try tonight."

I laugh loudly. "With what dick?" I yelp as he yanks my head up the stone stairs. His face has turned red as his disgusting friends laugh at him. I smirk coyly at him. "I'm gonna fuck you up so bad," he warns.