15

"Now that is the real, final ending." Said Soobin, pretending to close a non-existent storybook in his hands. The child pouted, face scrunched up adorably. "So they both left you for their happy ending? Mister nurse, that is so unfair for you!" She petulantly whined, kicking at the sheets. Soobin only laughed as he reached in to stop her.

The laugh died down into a small, empathetic smile that didn't reach the nurse's eyes. "It's okay. I knew my place." He paused, unsure if he should say the rest. He did anyway. "I knew what I was getting into."

It was the truth. Yeonjun was the closest thing to a best friend he ever had. Naturally, for his hopeless self, he began to notice things even the older himself didn't. How bright his smiles were when they weren't fake. How he would always laugh at his jokes and squeeze his hands whenever he reached for them. How warm his hugs were when they laid in his bed during sleepless nights, Soobin sacrificing his morning shift just so Yeonjun could have a good night's rest.

To Yeonjun, it was just Soobin being a good friend in his time of need. Naturally, to Soobin, whom has never known what it was like to be so close to someone his entire life nor had he ever fallen in love—it was something more.

Something more that he knew wouldn't be reciprocated from the get go. Yet, still, feelings bloomed inside him. Feelings that were so hopeless as he watched the male he was in love with struggle to open his eyes for another day, longing for someone else that had long departed. Someone that wasn't him.

Soobin sometimes cursed at how the world worked in such mysterious, cruel ways. How merciless it was for fate to let them all meet, just for them to end up as broken pawns to a lifelong game of chess.

"Mister nurse, did you like the older boy?" The little girl spoke up. Oh, how a voice so innocent could hold such damage as her words pierced straight through his heart.

The smile on his face turned sorrowful. "Yes. I did." do. But it's no use now. "Did he know?"

Soobin shook his head. "No, he didn't. We were just friends." The nurse's expression was now crestfallen. "At least that's what it was for him. And I'm fine with just that."

The little girl pouted again, tiny hands clenched into furious fists. Yet, she didn't say anything more. "Reality is so bad, I prefer my storybooks."

This earned a small giggle from the nurse. "If I could say the same, I would too." He reached in, giving the child a gentle pat on her head. She relished in a satisfied sigh.

He hadn't paid attention, but something about the girl began to grow more and more familiar to him with each passing second. He was so certain he'd never met a child that looked like her before in the past ten or so years of working at this hospital. So, how?

Standing up, he clapped his hands together in resolution. "Story's over, let's take you back to your room. It's almost dinner time too." At the mention of time, he turned to glance at the room clock on the adjacent wall.

5:53pm. They had seven minute before he had to be down by the cafeteria for dinner time.

Oddly enough, Soobin felt as though something flitted past his eyes in the split second he had blinked. When he looked again, nothing was out of place.

But why did it feel like something shifted? Must be the work fatigue. I should get coffee after this.

Brows furrowed at the sudden bewilderment, Soobin shook his head and tried not to think much of it. He didn't notice the enigmatic change behind the child's once innocent face; now staring at him like she saw right through him when he turned to her. Hair rose at the back of Soobin's neck.