Down For the Count

Narrator's POV

Its day two of Stella being stuck in Tartarus until she finds Hades' helm, but time feels much slower in Tartarus. For Stella, its like shes been down there a week.

Percy has been up all night. Thinking about Stella...about where she could be, about if Chiron is telling the truth, about whether or not he should believe him, or his dad. Something about this all just doesn't feel right to Percy, nor does it to Annabeth, Grover, Tyson, even Clarisse. Everyone in camp had something to say about it. For those who didn't know Stella well, they believe what Chiron told them. They believe that someone like her would want to live in hell with her evil father. The rumors around camp spread like a wildfire. Some think that Hades and Stella are trying to make a move on the gods, while others believe that Stella is evil just like her father.

"Percy!" Annabeth knocks at Percy's door with Thalia and Grover by her side.

"What?" Percy calls as he hears Tyson groan in the bunk next to him.

"Why up so early, brother?" Tyson complains.

"Just come in!" Percy calls to Annabeth.

Annabeth and the rest walk into Poseidon's cabin and notice how Percy's bed is still made from the night before.

"Didn't get much sleep did you?" Annabeth asks and Percy just nods. "Me neither. I couldn't stop thinking about her. Shes my best friend, Perc, and she just left." Annabeth sits on Percy's bed.

"How do we know she left?" Percy questions and the rest just shrug.

"Well, Chiron said she did." Thalia adds. "I may not know Stella well, but I know Chiron, and he isn't a liar."

"No, you don't know Stella." Percy interrupts. "If you did, you would know that Stella despises Hades and she would never choose to go to the Underworld."

"Percy, calm down." Annabeth says defending Thalia.

"Perc, I think we should look at things from Stel's perspective. I mean, she never really talked feelings with any of us, but I could always tell she was having a hard time with everything." Grover adds.

"Yes, she was, but-." Percy starts, but Annabeth interrupts.

"But, what, Percy? Look, I want to believe that Stella wouldn't just leave, but, I think she may have done this for us. She probably thought that she was a danger to us after what happened last year..." Annabeth says.

"What happened last year?" Thalia asks.

Percy, Annabeth, and Grover all stare at each other. None of them want to be the one to tell Thalia, but she would hear about it eventually.

"Last year, after Percy and Stella returned the lightning bolt to Zeus...Stella was having a hard time accepting Lukes' betrayal and couldn't move on from it. She locked herself in her cabin for months and barely spoke to any of us. One day, Chiron convinced her to finally get out of her cabin and train with Percy. But, when Percy left to get breakfast, someone took his place. That guy, Ethan, he provoked Stella. Said things about Luke that he shouldn't of said and Stella...she..." Annabeth starts, but Grover finishes.

"She killed him. Accidentally." He says and then storms out of the cabin.

Percy looks at Annabeth confused and she just shrugs, but Percy runs after Grover.

"Hey, hey. Grover, whats wrong?"

"Whats wrong? Whats wrong is that I'm a failure! I'm supposed to be protecting Stella, Perc. But, look at whats happened. I should've been there for her, but instead I was too wrapped up in the daughters of Aphrodite and other stupid, selfish things." Grover says as he punches a tree.

Percy stares at him sorrowful. Grover didn't deserve the blame at all. He was a great protector thought Percy.

"Grover, you are the fiercest, most amazing protector I know. But, you can't blame yourself for this. No one can. We've all made mistakes, but what happened last year...and I hate to say this, it was Stella's fault. She lost control and its all clear now." Percy says as he comes to a realization he'll regret.

"What is?" Grover asks.

"She's lost control, Grover. She knows shes lost control and thats why she went to Hades. Because, even though hes a horrible father, he knows how to help her and she knows she needs it. I just...I just wish that I could be the one to be there for her."

"Me, too." Grover says as Annabeth, Thalia, and Tyson approach them.

"Hey, guys. Everything good?" Asks Annabeth.

"Yeah, yeah. Everythings good." Percy says.

But, it wasn't good. While they were believing Chiron's story about the choice Stella made, she was in Tartarus all alone, hopelessly waiting for one of her best friends to come rescue her.

Stella's POV

This place is like a freaking maze. I mean, I was kind of expecting like signs that told me where I was going. But, I just ended up at the edge of the Cocytus river. I read about this river. It runs through Tartarus. I just have to figure out how to cross it without drowning. The current is rushing so fast. When I stuck my hand into the water, I could feel the strength of the river pulling me in. Hades could've given me like a boat or something for this.

"Now, there is something I just can't quite figure out." I hear a voice behind me say. "Why would a halfblood like you purposely venture into Tartarus alone?"

"Who the hell are you?" I say as I take out my sword.

"No need for that. It will be useless against me."

"Like to test that theory?" I ask, prepared to fight this woman.

"I'm a witch." Is all she says, but it isn't enough for me to put down the sword.

"So?"

"I can help you find what you've been looking for your whole life." She says drawing my attention.

"And what would that be?"

"Your mother."