6. Forgotten II

Eddy knocked on the door, then opened it to peer in.

"Hello Brett"

"Eddy! Hi!"

As Eddy entered Brett's hospital room, Brett slowly sat up. Brett smiled and reached his arm out towards Eddy, inviting him to come closer. Eddy hesitated momentarily, then gently placed his hand on Brett's shoulder as he leaned in and pecked Brett on his cheek.

As Eddy shyly pulled away Brett smiled and looked up.

"Eddy.."

"Yes, Brett..?"

"Is that it?"

Eddy blushed.

"Um.."

Brett grinned.

"In case you're worried, my mum's not gonna be back here till the later in the evening visiting hours today."

"Hey, is she okay with us.. you know.."

"Huh? Um.. to be honest, I can't remember.. but yesterday she was all keen about you coming to visiting me, I do remember that."

Eddy shrugged.

"Yeah, to help you remember stuff.. but I don't want to behave disrespectfully in front of her if she.. y'know."

"Okay.. but she's not here right now. So.."

Brett tugged on Eddy's arm till their foreheads almost touched.

"W, wait, Brett.. "

Brett stopped.

"Yes Eddy?"

"There's stuff I need to explain to you first."

Brett chuckled.

"Really? Even before you kiss me? Are you the shy type?"

OMG

Eddy faced down.

"Actually Brett..."

Brett furrowed his brows.

"What's wrong? I thought you told me yesterday that we're dating"

"We are. We are.. but we only started yesterday... actually to be more precise, today...

"..What..?

"And.. you're right.. I am the shy type and really awkward about this sort of stuff.. um... because you're my first boyfriend. And.. I'm not outed yet so I'm really bad with public display of affection..."

"Okay"

"Okay? Are you sure you're really okay with all this, Brett?"

"Well.. to be honest, you're the only... friend that I recognise at the moment.. so having you with me is really comforting. I really would like to keep seeing you. And of course, I'm happy to take things slowly or discreetly or whatever way you like."

"Really?

"Yeah of course.  You just have to remind me.  So we haven't even kissed yet?"

"N, no. Because you know, we only met last night and then you collapsed."

"Oh god that sounds horrific. I'm sorry to have put you through that. So how did we meet?"

Eddy tried his best to explain how he was at the pub where Brett worked and wanted to buy a beer as soon as he turned 18.

"You know what Eddy.. I think I remember that bit..! Weren't you lurking at the bar from just before midnight?"

"Yes..!!"

"I thought you were super cute. Didn't I end up treating you a beer because I thought you were so adorable?"

Eddy blushed. It was weird hearing his perspective.

"..Um.. yeah I guess... So I didn't even get to buy my own first beer because you ended up treated me, which was really sweet. Then I kinda got a bit depressed and was sulking outside the pub and you found me and we decided to go out..."

"What? Just like that?"

"Yeah.. just like that.. fingers clicking and all... I could've sworn that's what triggered you to remember me"

"I think you're right.. So who's idea was it for us to go out?"

"It was yours.. I turned 18 today and you said you were my birthday present"

Brett chuckled.

"Sounds a bit cringy. I can't believe I said that."

"Oh but it was sweet. I liked it. I mean, it was the nicest gift I ever received."

Brett smiled.

"Well, let's hope you remain feeling that way..."

Brett gently tugged on Eddy's arm, pulling him in close again.

Eddy's eyes widened.

Brett spoke softly.

"Eddy.. it's okay, we don't have to if you don't want to."

"I.. I want to"

Brett cupped Eddy's cheek with his other hand and slowly pulled him in closer.

The hospital door opened and a cheery nurse barged in.

"Good afternoon Brett ! It's time to take your temperature!"

The Eddy jumped away from the bed and walked to the window and started staring at the brick wall as if it was the most interesting construction in human history. He couldn't face the nurse till he took a few breaths to calm down.

"Hi.. um, am I.. or should I leave the room?"

"Oh no, that's okay, I'm just taking a few measurements no biggie. Okay, temperature.. is a bit on the warm side but it's good... You've got good colour today Brett, unlike how pale you were this morning.  Okay, so let's take your blood pressure next... Oh my, Brett what the heck is going on with your pulse! It's like you've just done 30 burpees??"

Eddy was too embarrassed to keep listening to this.

"Um.. I need to go get a drink..!!"

Blushed to the tip of his ears, Eddy quickly stepped out of the hospital room.