02- Truth

I reprimanded myself in my head, telling that I had to be more professional especially when involving matters with my boss. Though this was not exactly a work setting, I still had to keep everything formal and proper, and not let these silly nerves get a hold of me. 

The tension had eased a little and soon everyone had made small talks and discussions with each other, without so much the pressure of conforming and attending to the boss. I, on the other hand, only sat taller and listened to the passionate political speech from Minyuk. 

"Do you mind, Ha Eun?" a deep voice suddenly spoke and I was startled by the roughness of it. I quickly looked over to the voice and saw Taehyung staring at me with a curious gaze, his brown eyes suggesting an odd familiarity and warmth that I can't quite put a finger on. 

I looked back for a little too long to realize that he was referring to his work bag, where he held it up above his knee.  

"Oh, right- of course Mr. Kim." I tried to play off like nothing had happened and moved to the side for him to place his bag. I didn't want him to witness how unsteady my breathing had become, so I sat straighter and drank a glass of cold green tea. 

I thought I heard a small chuckle, but I couldn't be too sure as he leaned forward to steady his bag on the long lounging chair, adjusting it so it didn't slip to the floor. I was instantly hit with a strong whiff of his sweet cologne and the rich refreshing smell of his shampoo from his hair. 

I blinked when these pleasing smells had registered in my brain, not too sure what to make of it but only knowing that it -he- had smelled great. I only fiddled further, wanting to dig a hole and bury myself in the snow. I didn't mean to purposely sniff like a pervert, I really didn't, but now I had seemed like one. 

"Can you help me get that?" I turned to Mina and gave her my plate eagerly, pointing to the fried kimchi pancake at the other end of the table.

"Ah, sure." she helped cut a slice and placed the dish on my plate, then returned to listen to Minhyuk. 

We talked about many other things and most importantly, we relaxed. It would be hell once we returned to the office the next day, so it was almost an unofficial unanimous agreement that we ate to our hearts content. My nerves had also somewhat calmed, in the sense that I could control it better if I was distracted with food or the television. I just had to avoid the source of the problem, though that was easier said than done. 

Juwon had began his due diligence by reporting any problems faced while Taehyung was away and even suggesting some long-term solutions to ensure that such obstacles will never arise again. Daniel had even recounted one incident that I was involved in and conveniently spilled to him. 

"One of the free-lance investors had visited the company and requested to meet specifically with Ha Eun because he allegedly fell head over heels for one of her design sketches." He started off dramatically and I had to refrain not to roll my eyes by how he was so into his speech. "Yeah, we had our suspicions. Turns out, we were right after all!"  

"That disgusting pervert was actually taking inappropriate pictures of her!" Mina eagerly continued the narration furiously, cutting Daniel with just as much enthusiasm to share with the boss. "I mean how could he?" 

I distinctively remembered the unpleasant incident, and there was much more to the story than what was told, but I let them continue their animated deliveries, nodding along to confirm, somewhat pleased that they are voicing out for me yet apprehensive about Taehyung's response. 

"What?" he said hardly and raised his brow.

"He was dragged by security after it was discovered." I tried to say it in a matter-of-fact tone and even mustered my courage to look at him in the eye, shoving my bundle of nerves down. "Everything was solved on that day and he has since been blacklisted from the company, so he shouldn't be a problem to us anymore." 

He glared at me and I couldn't discern what emotion he was trying to convey. It was a mixture of everything.  He said nothing, though it looked as though his mouth was itching to start on an aggressive rant. I only looked away. 

"Yea, you forgot to add the fact that you had punched him."  Minhyuk sipped his drink and smiled proudly. "A tooth was later found and we still think it belonged to that bastard." 

I tried to remain indifferent but my mouth curled at the corner into a small smile, remembering how satisfying it was to punch him across the face. I wished I was stronger so I could actually send him flying to the wall, but at the very least, I heard a crack.

A laughed had escaped from Taehyung, and all five of us turned our heads towards him, surprised. It was rare that he had relaxed himself as our superior, but perhaps it was more of a shock that he had discarded the façade of always being unfriendly and stony. 

As soon as he realized, he recovered instantly into his usual poker face. 

"Mr. Kim, if only you laughed in front of our customers that way! Our sales would increase dramatically!" Daniel carefully teased, but I could tell that he held back, as though he was testing the waters to see if his language was appropriate. 

"Indeed" I agreed. 

He coughed and pulled his sleeve to reveal his branded watch, checking the time, but we knew it was to distract himself from Daniel's statement that had more truth that he would like to admit. 

-

Minhyuk was the first to leave as his sister had picked him up, and he quickly thanked Taehyung and wished us all a good night. I could see him getting scolded while she was reversing to the main road,  with his arms getting slapped multiple times and what seemed to be a silent argument between them. Judging by her irritated expression, it had to be how late it was. 

"See you guys at work tomorrow! Thank you Mr. Kim!" Mina exhaled cold air and waved passionately at the remaining of us, quickly disappearing into her boyfriend's car which trailed off in the distance soon after. 

"Ha Eun, are you waiting for taxi?" Juwon asked as he and Daniel prepared to settle into his car. They lived in the same apartment complex and because Daniel couldn't afford a car, they had agreed to travel to and from work together, seeing as it saved expenses for the both of them.

"Yes.." I looked around the dark and empty streets with  white snow gathered on both sides of the road, no sign of any transportation vehicle I was searching for. 

"How about Grab?" Daniel suggested. I sadly held my bright phone in front of him, showing that there were no vehicles in the area, only the nearest being up to fifty minutes long.

"I'll wait." I reassured once I saw their pitiful faces. Truth was, my apartment was in the total opposite of theirs, and I couldn't bear the thought of them returning to their beds at two in the morning just because I didn't have a ride. That was selfish of me and I adamantly refused their thoughtful request. 

"It's getting late now, you should return." Taehyung stepped beside me and bid them farewell. "I'll stay here until her ride arrives."

I looked up at him and frowned, then I thought that they could actually leave in peace without worrying anymore, so I kept my mouth shut. Convinced, Juwon and Daniel too wished us a good night and sped off the snowing night. 

It was only the two of us, and though I saw this coming, I did not exactly foresee that it would be this awkward. In fact, it was even painfully awkward because none of us had said anything despite having a lot to say, I was sure. 

I desperately wanted to rewind the time, the time where I had not not agreed to join this social gathering, the time where I had not been attracted to him, and the time where I hadn't accidently kissed him in my drunken stupor. 

Then, can I act normal and not feel so flustered around him. 

-