03- Casual Confrontation

"You can leave now, Mr. Kim" I fumbled with my zipper and looked at him. "Thank you for today's meal." 

Keep things professional, I reminded myself. I could not let anything slip away again and I needed to control myself. I was usually quite professional with colleagues or superiors from work, but clearly there are exceptions which even I didn't know about. 

"I said I was waiting." Taehyung responded, and again, stared at me with the gaze that bore too much intensity and warmth for my liking. I tried to ignore whatever that had roused me inside. 

"I see." I went and sat on the cold wooden bench near the road, deciding that leaving him alone would be better rather than embarking on an impossible conversation that would to lead me no where. 

He was calm and composed- from what I could see- and unlike me, seems to have completely forgotten everything that has happened between us about three weeks ago. I wouldn't blame him, but was I the only one that remembered little snippets of me kissing him after a long and not-so sober night? I was sure he remembered, but if he did, why wasn't I fired? Maybe he was willing to overlook this mistake and regarded as some form of employee misconduct- but seriously?

I don't want to confront him about it, but I have to understand the situation. Maybe things were better left unsaid? Would it better benefit the both of us-

He came over and stood in front of me with his hands shoved deep in his pockets, staring down at me with his face and hair exceptionally bright from the lamp post. My mind became frazzled when he stood close, and I thought of nothing but the frosty air around us, almost encapsulating us in a snow globe by how slow the time ticked by. 

"Who was he?" He suddenly spoke, his voice harsh. 

I assumed he was referring to the conversation back in the restaurant, about the pervert. 

"The situation is already resolved, Mr. Kim." I calmly explained, trying to ease my way out of his anger which I could sense was coming. "Everything-"

"Under whose permission is it settled?" He cocked his head to the side and shot an icy look at me.

I winced. It was times like these that made any possibility of further development beyond that of an employer and an employee impossible. 

"My apologies, I thought that because the Director personally oversaw the matter, everything would be resolved." I looked at him distantly, trying my best to persist my formalities. "It was Park Bonsu, an investor that contributed towards the Green Foundation Program." 

 He arched a brow and his face looked annoyed by the mention of his name. 

"Was the police involved?" he questioned. 

"Yes. We reported a case of sexual harassment to the station."

"Are the pictures on his phone deleted?" he asked with his brows furrowed. 

Pictures? Ah, right, those one. 

"I assumed it was after the police confiscated his phone." my voice dropped, remembering the uncomfortable moments in the station after seeing the pictures. 

It was mostly blurry, but since then I was more cautious about walking and the way I sat. I had also started wearing pants lately, as well as clothes with decent coverage on my chest. It was necessary precaution to take so similar incidents did not happen again. 

He cursed and looked away. He then placed both his hands on the bench and leaned forward so that our faces were now closer.  

"Are you alright?" his voice was full of concern, unlike before which was as cold as ice. 

I looked up at his eyes that resembled that of a child, bright and dazzling, yet there was an unmistakable hint of worry and maturity that suggested that he was older than he looked. 

It was warmer despite midnight approaching, and the cold wasn't much of a bother anymore. 

"Yes." I answered somewhat truthfully, though that experience would forever remain in the back of my conscious every second. "I think many women have to go through similar, if not worse, events. It's truly heartbreaking but this is the world we live in, and the only way to survive is by adapting and protecting ourselves. It is only by protecting that we are able walk across the red line that has been thread for us in our destiny."

I trailed off absentmindedly.  

"It's an unfair reality." he began honestly. "This is why if I were to have a child of my own, I would educate him to be sweetest and kindest boy who will treat women with the utmost respect. They deserve it all, every single one in the world."

I considered his words and thought that he would make a good father. Much like himself; a gentleman. Though I would have to argue a strict and firm one at that- he is my boss after all. 

"You would be a great father." I blurted unknowingly, then I processed what a weird topic I had intertwined myself into. 

"I think so too." he replied with a small smile. 

We stayed there in silence and I suddenly realized how close we actually are. Too close for my liking, that's for sure, and I could feel his warm breath tickle beneath my skin. 

"I think my taxi is here!" I exclaimed and escaped my compromising position, running towards the road in tiny steps for fear of slipping on the snow. 

I pretended to search for any vehicles that would pass us, but there was nothing. 

"I thought I saw something." I laughed awkwardly. "My apologies, Mr. Kim." 

"It's fine, I never intended on letting you ride a taxi alone at night." he reached deep into his beige coat to fetch out his keys. "We're taking my car." 

.

I didn't know how I wounded up seated  in a luxurious leather seat in a white Audi Car which price tag was far above my scope of imagination, but here I am. I sat in the passenger seat beside Taehyung and I could finally unwrap the thick wool around my neck for soothing ventilation that my neck had yearned for. It was comforting, though I was intimidated by the new gadgets placed all around the car. 

I soon saw the familiar surroundings to my apartment and looked at him skeptically.

"How do you where my place is, Mr. Kim?" 

"I've been here before." He answered like it was an obvious fact. 

"I don't remember ever giving you my address." I said with more suspicion. 

"Well, of course you wouldn't remember." He turned to look at me. "You were drunk that time." 

I widened my eyes and understood what he meant. I whipped my head back so he wouldn't notice my reddened cheeks, remembering the rather passionate kissed we shared in this very car. 

He signaled his car to the side and I unbuckled my safety belt. 

"Rest assured, we've done nothing more than kissing." He went on casually like this was another business project that were meant to be discussed. 

I came to a conclusion that he was aware of it, yet he's not uncomfortable or taken aback by it. I had considered that he did not want to mention for the sake that we are working together, to  spare me the embarrassment perhaps, but no. It would be fair to say that he even almost declared it.

I was sure I became a tomato, and I wanted to escape from his matter-of-fact statements. I clicked open the door, but not before he leaned in and gave a swift peck on my cheek. I was even more confused than I ever had been and I just sat there gawking at him stupidly. 

"Good night, Ha Eun." he looked at me silently. 

I nodded slowly, not quite sure whether I was dreaming. "You too, Mr. Kim." 

"Next time, I'll be there." he suddenly said seriously before I closed the door.

I wasn't sure what he meant but I quickly ran into my apartment to rush into my safe sanctuary, partly from the cold and partly from him.

-