The Hunted

Last Time:

"Perhaps." Kurama stepped up to the window sill and smelled it. "I smell Hinata's scent."

XXXXXXXXXX

"I'm surprised to see you here and in that get up of all things." Orochimaru said with a smirk as he approached the cloaked Akatsuki member, whose face was covered by a straw hat and high collar. "What? No hug for an old friend?" He snickered as the cloaked figure finally turned to him.

"Fuck off. I'm busy." The cloaked person with a deep voice said before turning away.

Orochimaru shrugged, "Busy playing Akatsuki or busy trying to bring down Konoha?" He sighed as the cloaked person ignored him and kept walking. "If you're trying to avoid being identified then you better make a clone. The Akatsuki members work in teams of two, after all. I was one for a little while so I would know. Hated those gaudy rings." He said with a cringe of disgust. "No matter. Just keep whatever you're plotting until the last round if you don't mind."

The cloaked turned towards the snake sage, "I see ... plans of your own?" The person asked curiously, sounding a bit like they were disguising their voice considering their deep voice cracked with the strain of a longer sentence.

"You know me. Always dabbling in things." Orochimaru said cheerfully. "If you can't find what you're looking for, come join me. It'd be fun to work together again and for the same goal no less."

After briefly pondering the offer the cloaked person sighed, "The seal and poison probably already killed my target so it'd be useless now." The more feminine sounding person said and walked away with the gleeful snake sage.

A few moments after the fake Akatsuki and the snake sage left the ground just feet away crumbled. It may have looked solid, but it turned out to be hollow underneath. A trench and two people were revealed once the layer of dirt collapsed without the thin crystal holding it up.

"Poison?" Naruto gasped as he ignored the dirt falling off his body and craned his neck to look at his passenger, who hadn't made a sound or moved for a while. Was that only because they were hiding or because a poison was spreading through his body?

"Just ... hurry." Utakata pressed out painfully.

Without any hesitation Naruto jumped into the trees. Of course, he started moving in the direction that took them away from the two people they just met. Once he was certain they wouldn't cross paths with the strange pair he made a beeline for Konoha, but not just any area. After all, Naruto knew that Guren would report to whoever was closer, but either way ROOT would be the ones sent to meet him. With that in mind he covered his legs in an oddly dark blue chakra raced for where the ROOT hideout was hidden.

"You ... are a demon." Utakata gasped weakly when he sensed the different chakra.

In the darkness the pupils of Naruto's blue eyes became sharp slits and bigger, "Like I said. Long story."

'I heard everything. Help will meet you at the halfway point.' Hiruzen's voice came over the earpiece.

Naruto nodded, "Got it."

Now Naruto just had to make the run as fast as he could without attracting even more attention. On top of that, it was now night time.

XXXXXXXXXX

"Hinata? We should tell grandpa!" Konohamaru exclaimed and immediately jumped up into the trees.

"Agreed." Kurama said and also jumped up, but with an added bit of flare. The demon twisted and actually got under Konohamaru just in time for the young ninja to land on his back. "Hold on." Konohamaru barely had a chance to squeak before the demon under him took off at a truly demonic speed.