Chapter One

"COME ON, KARA." My friend Layla slurred to me, fanning my face with her alcoholic breath. I groaned as I swung her limp arm over my shoulder. Layla leaned on me for support and I tried my best to keep both of us from toppling over. We'd been here for barely an hour and she was already wasted. I made my way through the large house that reeked of booze and cologne. The strong scent tickled my nose.

"Where's Jess?" I asked my drunk friend, which felt like I was talking to a wall. Layla took a moment to adjust her shiny, green skirt. Her long blonde locks were now disheveled. I moved them behind her shoulder to prevent them from sticking to her pink face.  Even though fall was upon us, the house was warm and humid.

"Over there," She stretched out a slender finger, pointing towards the dancing crowd. Everyone appeared sticky and my nose automatically scrunched up in disgust.

"I'll take care of her." Milo, a chiseled football player, showed up. They'd been dating since sophomore year. He quickly brushed his sandy brown hair back before coming closer, peeling her arm from me.

"Oh, thank God." I carefully removed her from my shoulder and breathed a sigh of relief. Layla squealed in delight and wrapped her arms around her boyfriend who chuckled in response.

"Go have fun, Kara." Milo smiled at me. I did my best to return it. I was feeling extremely antisocial tonight. My heart was in a heavy place.

"Kara!" Jess yelled my name over the loud music. I turned to see my flush-faced friend bobbing up and down behind a few other people. It was obvious that she had been dancing all night. "Are you having fun?" Jess questioned, walking up to me with a worried glance.

I gave her a quick nod, "As much as I can." My lips formed into an uneasy smile. Jess squeezed my hand before holding it tightly.

"Come dance." She tugged me towards the crowd of dancing people before I could reproach it. Jess loved to dance. It's a part of our Mexican roots, as she liked to say. 

Bodies bumping against me, the strong scent of alcohol, and the overwhelming amount of perfume were all a deadly combination that were suffocating me. 

I watched my tipsy friend begin to move her body along with the loud party music. Her thick, black hair was cascading down her back, and the pretty, blue dress she was wearing made her chocolate brown eyes pop. I stood there awkwardly at first, closely watching as everyone else danced and swayed their bodies to the beat of the music. It must've feel nice to feel so carefree. I somewhat envied them. Overthinking was a bad habit of mine.

Jess leaned forward, bringing her red lips next to my ear, "Dance Kara, stop thinking about Adam." My heart instantly ached at the sound of his name. I never wanted to hear that name again, but I knew that was inevitable.

Three weeks ago, I had walked into my boyfriend's house thinking that we were going to go on a date. Instead I showed up only to find him in his room making out with another girl. I yelled at him, he said some hurtful words, and I left. It was over, and I haven't spoken to him since. It's been an agonizing three weeks.

Jess was right, though. I hadn't left my room for a whole week, and if it weren't for her and Layla, I'd probably still be an emotional wreck

Another popular song began to play, and Jess squealed loudly causing me to laugh at her reaction. I started to slowly dance along with the beat, pushing away any thoughts in my mind. As I began to get more comfortable, adrenaline spiked through me. It was nice to finally feel the slightest bit of relief. The rush of freedom took over, and my mind was at ease for the first time in weeks. I was out with my two best friends. That's all I needed.