16. Moving In and How Castiel Escaped

"Mr. Dean? What are you doing here?"

Jack was standing in the middle of the kitchen, watching Castiel help carry a suitcase into the house, Dean right behind him. 

"Hey, buddy!" Dean grinned, looking up at Jack who fiddled with his hands, his backpack straps sliding off his shoulders every few seconds. 

Jack gave him a little wave but with a slight frown on his face.  "What's happening, Daddy? Do we have to move away again?"

"No, sweetie," Castiel replied, walking over to the shaky child.  Jack was referring to when they had to leave their old town when he was two because of Ketch.  "Mr. Dean is moving in with us, that's what's happening."

In less than a second, Jack's frown turned into a a huge smile and he ran over to Dean, now being tall enough to get on his toes to hug his waist.  "Really Mr. Dean?! You're really going to stay with us?!"

"You betcha, kid," Dean laughed lightly, ruffling his golden hair.  "It's because your father is the kindest man on earth—"

"Oh shut up, Winchester," Castiel said playfully, grabbing Jack's lunch for school.  He put it in the front pocket of his backpack which was now strapped tightly to his shoulders.  He guided the child to the door when the bright yellow bus came rolling around the corner and Dean leaned in to whisper next to Cas. 

"You shut up," he whispered with the same playful tone, gaining a laugh from Castiel. 

They both waved goodbye to Jack as he stepped on to the bus, sitting next to Garth's kid Gertie.  Dean then pulled Castiel into a peck on the lips and then a hug, running his hand through his hair softly. 

"Thank you, Cas," he murmered into the blue-eyed man's hair, taking in that same vanilla scent he always adored.  "Thank you so, so much."

"No problem, Dean," Castiel replied.  "Thank you for showing me what happiness really feels like."

"Hey," Dean began, releasing Castiel and closing the door behind them.  "If—If you don't mind me asking, and you can totally not answer my question, but...how did you and Ketch...break up?"

Castiel's eyes widened and he took a deep breath, the memories of that one day flooding back to him. 

"Nevermind," Dean said quickly once he noticed Castiel's initial shock.  "Forget I ever said anything."

"No, I... I should tell you," Castiel inferred.  "After all, you told me how things ended with Lisa."

He gestured to the kitchen table and Dean sat down across from him, listening closely. 

"Well," Castiel said, thinking about it for a second.  "It all happened when he proposed..."
--------------------------------------------------------------
Eight years ago...

"Castiel..will you marry me?"

Ketch opened the tiny box in his hands and a small plastic ring sat inside.  Castiel didn't know what to say, but so blinded by first love he nodded his head. 

"Yes!" He gleamed, holding his hand out.  Ketch stood up and fitted the ring to his finger.  Castiel leaned up to kiss him, but Ketch turned away. 

"Woah, remember what we agreed upon? No kissing in public," Ketch scoffed, pushing Castiel away. 

"Yup, sorry," Cas sighed.  But his frown turned into a smile when he looked down at the ring on his finger which was already beginning to turn green.

"You like it?" Ketch asked, "the ring?"

"Yes," Castiel lied with a chipper tone.