𝟐𝟔| 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐦𝐚𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐤𝐢𝐝𝐧𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐫

-𝐇𝐄𝐑-

"You son of a—" I didn't realize I had said it out loud until he cocked an eyebrow at me and gave me one of his hard looks. I stooped midway and pressed my lips in a thin line before glaring at him.

I should have known that this was a trap. He just wanted to make me work for free and I fell for that so easily. He tilted his head slightly, waiting for me to say something more but I didn't. Instead, I rewarded him with silence and a deathly glare.

"What was that?" He asked. I was breathing hard, clutching that piece of paper in my hand as I looked at him. I could see that he already knew what he did yet he dared to ask me what was that?

That son of a witch!

"You've deceived me," I gritted, not feeling bubbly anymore.

"I have?" He asked. I almost imagined a corner of his lips curling up slightly into a knowing smirk. Yet he asked me, "How?"

"You gave me this piece of paper promising me eight pounds instead of actual eight pounds," I told him.

"That's not a just piece of paper," He told me grimly, "That paper is as much worth as eight pounds,

"Only until I have the ability to go to the bank to convert this paper into actual money," I spat and this time I was sure he smirked but that was gone from his lips too soon.

"The worth of money is determined by its ability to be spent at all. Though in your case even if I hand you a cheque or money, where would you spend it?" He asked pointedly, "after all, you aren't leaving my residence anytime soon,"

The way he said that last bit sent a shiver down my spine. It was an indirect reminder for me that I wasn't only a guest here. I was his prisoner as well. I had as much freedom here as that of a caged bird. But did I let that stop me?

No.

"Whether I hand you a cheque or money, it's the same in this case. Both are useless to you," He told me. He wasn't entirely wrong but if he thought that I was simply going to keep that piece of paper and sew my lips then he was entirely wrong. It was a shame that he was undermining me even after I'd proven him wrong a handful of times already.

"But it would be of use when I get out of here, wouldn't it?" I asked him. He looked at me pensively.

"Yes,"

"I could go to the bank and debit eight pounds from your bank account if I show this piece of paper to the clerk, right?" I pressed.

"Indeed,"

"Then you're going to let me out of here so that I could make you eight pounds poorer,"

"And why do you think that I would do that?" He asked.

"Why? Don't you claim to be a gentleman?"

"I am a gentleman," He claimed.

"Then you'd let a respectable and well-bred lady such as me go to the bank so that I could claim the money I deserve," I told him. For a moment he said nothing but just stared at me with a blank face. Although his pensive eyes were simmering with a bit of annoyance and something else I couldn't name.

"I cannot do that," He finally told me.

"Then give me real money," I demanded.

"I don't keep any,"

"Then how do you pay your butler?"

"Through cheques,"

"And unlike me, he could run to the bank and get his money. Either you give me real money or you let me go to the bank," I told him, slowly reaching the point of losing my civility and just letting out a string of curses that I'd picked up from the sailors but doing so would result in me losing my title of a well-bred lady but this piece of concrete in the name of a man was teasing my patience.

"Or what?" He asked with a calm yet venomous tone that spiked my breath. For a moment it reminded me that I was talking to a man who was holding me captive here and if he wished then I'd be going to sleep in an unmarked gave tonight.

But he could shove that unmarked grave up his behind.

I wanted my money and I wasn't going to step back until I had it. I would take the money to my grave even if I had to die for it.

"Or you could consider yourself less of a gentleman if you wish to see me roaming in the house the way my mother birthed me because my clothes are falling apart," I spat nastily. He opened his mouth but instantly shut it. He looked taken aback.

Ha! I knew I had him right there. Another unknown emotion simmered in his eyes as he leaned back in his chair and looked at me as if he was contemplating if his life was worth living anymore. I am not sure but that's what it seemed looking at his visage. It could have been something else but it was hard to read him.

He ran his eyes from my head to toes heatedly for a moment.

"My butler would take you to the town tomorrow," He finally told me. I instantly dropped the murderous glare and returned to my sweet smile, "But there would be consequences if you try to run or discuss your situation with anyone," He warned me.

"Of course, I wouldn't," I told him, flashing him another sweet smile as I tucked the cheque in my corset. Briefly, his eyes lingered and darkened on the corner of his cheque which was sticking out of my cleavage but I was already turning away and walking towards the door.

"Good night, Mr. Night," I greeted him sweetly over my shoulder before the door of his office closed behind me. 

_

Author's Note:

Vote. Comment. Share. Follow me

You could read up to chapter 31 on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

Updating schedule — Wednesday, Saturday

Social media
Instagram- authorritz
Facebook- Benita Ritz
Twitter- BenitaRitz

Song above — Holly Henry - Seven Nation Army (TEEMID Remix) / White Stripes 
(Click on the link in my bio for my Playlist)

Thanks for reading ♥︎