Part 1: Fresh Start

Today was just another ordinary day for me, Lucy Moon. Except that I am not your ordinary girl. I have autism and epilepsy. So you could say that I am different, but to me, that's dull. I prefer the word unique, as I aim to achieve the impossible. Last year was not great for me, but this year I hope to defy all odds and pursue a career in the performing arts industry.

Despite being far from my dream, I have everything any citizen needs. A roof over my head, a part time job, my first boyfriend (long story short we met on New Year's Eve, and it was SO ROMANTIC), a group of friends who will have my back, rehearsing for a big show and nearly finishing my performing arts course. Most people ask for designer clothes and bags, but for me, what I have right now were the most valuable possessions anyone could ever wish for.

Two weeks have passed since New Year's Eve, and I see a story of a new virus striking in Wuhan, China. It was known as COVID-19, otherwise known as the Coronavirus. My nan was taking care of me that night and my boyfriend came round. I was intrigued to know.

"What started this whole disease in the first place?" I asked her.

"I'm not sure dear," my nan replied, "Mind you, the amount of rubbish they eat is ridiculous, but that's part of their culture I suppose."

I chuckled when she said it, but it was true. Bats are often eaten in Chinese culture, but some were also infected. Perhaps they had something in them that was not so good.

A few weeks have passed, and it was nearly February, and the first cases of this new virus in the UK have been confirmed. I was not fazed by this as I was in the middle of rehearsing my next show with college... 'a piece of immersive Theatre where the audience got involved which was an important decision. The group were due to experience a trip linking to our theme of the performance to have an idea on what it would feel like, but the night before, I never felt so ill in my entire life. Initially thinking it was the flu, as it only lasting a few days, I then wondered if maybe I had a minor phase of the dangerous killer.

Fast forward a few weeks, and it was the night of my show. I may have only had a small part, but as they say in showbiz 'There are no small parts, just small actors.' It was also beneficial as I was literally sneezing my head off.

"Do you have Corona?" one of my peers asked.

"No," I replied. "If I had it I wouldn't be here right now."

It may seem odd, but a week earlier, the first death of the new disease was announced, taking away the life of a woman in her 70s. However, I managed to persevere and made it through two nights of a successful performance, gaining positive feedback from the audience. Things were finally starting to look up for me. Or so I thought...

A week later, I was due to celebrate the end of my show by going on my first date with my boyfriend and make things official with him. However, it was announced on the news that cinemas will be closed, and pubs, clubs, theatres and restaurants and sports venues shortly followed. We then decided to have a takeaway and watch a movie instead. Two days later, and I met up with my friends, as some may fear that we may go into lockdown soon. Towards the end of the day, I embraced my boyfriend, professing my love for him, admitting that I am scared about what will happen.

"It's not even a lockdown itself," I said, "It's what comes with it."

"I know," my boyfriend replied.

I couldn't hold back my tears, "But we can't go under it. We can't go over it. We've got to get through it. I love you."

"I love you too," he responded.

This was the first time I said it to him since we first met, and when he parted it broke my heart. I had a feeling that I would not see him as much after that.

The next day the announcement came. I sat in front of the TV with my dad and I saw the prime minister Boris Johnson on the screen. I knew it was serious as he gave the announcement directly from Number 10 downing street. It almost felt as though I was in The Hunger Games. He then uttered the words I was dreading...

"You must stay at home."

My world crumbled. I knew that nothing would be the same.