Chapter Two

The 21st of July came round quicker than expected. The day I could kickstart the new chapter of my life - pun not intended - and learn how to defend myself from anyone who tried to hurt me again. I'd lied to Jules about where I was going today. She wouldn't be home anyway, she never is on Wednesday's, but on the off chance she did come home I needed a valid excuse not to be there if I wanted to avoid a new set of bruises caused by her. In her mind, I was taking an extra shift at work and this was non-negotiable with my boss. My boss was the only person I'd known to intimidate my girlfriend so I knew she wouldn't question or remotely argue with my reason for not being home.

My ribs were still achy as you can expect. A forceful blow to the chest tends to have that effect. However, they were healing nicely along with the bruises on my face. They had begun to fade from their distinct blackish-blue to that disgusting yellow colour they always shifted to as they went through their usual healing process. Of course, they weren't invisible, but they were less noticeable than before so no one in the class would question it. Hopefully.

As soon as I heard the apartment door click without a goodbye from Jules, as usual, I left my motionless position on the sofa and shuffled along the hallway to our bedroom. I didn't work out often, so I didn't own many work out clothes, but I managed to find a pair of black exercise leggings with mesh along the outside of the leg and a sports bra from the depths of my wardrobe. I can't remember the last time I used them, so I couldn't ignore the musty smell which lingered on them as I got changed. I spritzed it with a dash of my favourite body spray and threw a white tank top over the top to cover up the injury on my ribcage as much as possible. I didn't look amazing, but it was adequate.

The class started soon, and I'd have to walk a couple of blocks to get there, so I grabbed my apartment keys, phone and the money required to pay for the session and left. For once I had a spring in my step as I skipped along the streets to the hall where the lesson was being held. As I walked, I tied my hair into a low bun to get it out of my face. Two shorter strands at the front framed my face. I'd always wanted to cut my hair shorter, maybe shoulder length, but Jules liked it long so I kept it long. It currently sat just below where my bra strap came. My compromise was two shorter strands at the front, hence why they now swung around my face as the rest of my hair was tied back.

I was early to most things, out of habit, and today was no different. I was the first one in the hall, the only other person being the instructor who, if I remember correctly from the website, was called Natalie. I slowly pushed the door open to see her concentrating as she set up her speaker and some boxing gloves along the front of the hall. The side of the room was lined with punching bags - some on stands and some hanging from the ceiling - and a row of focus pads were prepared on the other. She didn't even have to turn around to notice my presence in the room.

"You're early. It's nice to have someone so eager. Come in, don't stand in the doorway. I just have a few things to set up." She invited me in whilst still setting up the speaker.

I fully entered the room and put my stuff to the side on a little window ledge and glanced around, taking in the extent of all the equipment in here. I guess she noticed my shocked expression at it all as she peered up from whatever she was doing.

"First time doing something like this?" She asked. I noticed her voice was very distinct. It was raspy but so warm and welcoming. It was the opposite to Jules' harsh tones. It made me feel safe enough to continue the conversation.

"Yeah. It's... well it's a lot to take in." I chuckled nervously and wandered slightly further to the centre of the room. She moved to meet me in the middle.

"It's okay. This class is mainly beginners so you won't be alone in your feelings. I'm Nat, I'll be your instructor, and I'm here to help you through it." The comfort in Nat's reassurance was relaxing. I felt myself let my guard down a little. I could tell that I could trust this woman from the moment I saw her.

"That's good to know." I smiled and handed her the envelope with the fees for the session. "I think it's the right amount, feel free to check."

"I believe you, don't worry." Nat laughed, taking the envelope and setting it down with her stuff in the far corner before she walked back. "Are those bruises part of the reason you're joining?"

Wow. She really didn't hold back. "Oh these? No. No, those are from work. I work in a prison so it's a common occurrence to have someone kick off. I just happened to be the one in the way this week. I'm joining for the fitness aspect to be honest." It was only partly a lie. I mean, I did work in a prison and I did want to improve my fitness. The look in her eyes told me she didn't believe my lies but before she could pick up on it the doors flew open and a gaggle of girls ran in full of young energy and excitement. They were chatting away together and giggling about how fun it will be to learn to punch. I remember the days when I radiated that sort of energy.

Nat took that as her cue to go and she went to her position at the front of the class. She greeted people as they entered and I noticed the whole class consisted of women. Interesting. I kept to myself as people arrived, off to the left side of the room, as most people seemed to know each other or at least someone else in the class. I didn't really have friends. A girl with long, brunette hair and a load of eyeliner was called up to the front to talk to Nat and I noticed subtle glances being thrown in my direction from the two of them. I tried to ignore how uncomfortable it was making me feel. Then the brunette headed in my direction and held out a hand for me to shake. I shook it gently.

"I'm Wanda," She said with a joyful ring to her voice, "Nat tells us all to buddy up and I don't normally have a partner so she said to work with you. Is that okay?"

"Uhhh, sure. I'm Y/N." I give her a half smile then turned my attention to Nat as she started to speak.

"Welcome to those who are new," She glanced in my direction, "And nice to see you again to those who have been before. Today we are working on our basic three beat combo - jab, cross and hook - and the simple mechanics of these. Let me start with a demo."

With that she started to move fluidly in a left lead boxing position, giving examples of how we are supposed to move. I take this as my chance to ask Wanda a question I've been wanting the answer to since everyone arrived.

"Wanda," I whispered, to which she hummed in response without taking her eyes of the demonstration, "Why is it only women here?"

Wanda looked at me with a puzzled expression, her eyebrows furrowed. "Well, most people have bad experiences with men and want to defend against them, so they feel safer with women." She explained.

"Oh. Right." I responded, turning back to watch Nat. If only they knew that men weren't the only problem in this society.

A/N: Here's chapter 2! Don't worry there will be more interactions soon :)

As usual, let me know what you think!