s i x

Addie kicked off her shoes as she skidded across the wooden carpets on her socks, James yelling at her from the front door. 

"Hey hey hey" Harrison appeared. "Whats going on here" 

He intercepted them just as James caught up to her, almost leaping on top of his sister. 

"She stole my book" He whined with a pout, glaring at his twin. 

"Did not" She retorted with a stuck out tongue as she shoved it down the back of her waistband. Harry rolled his eyes, used to their arguing. Having just turned 14 the twins' current favourite pass-time was annoying the hell out of each other. 

He plucked it from her school skirt chucking it lazily at James who easily caught it. 

"Oh Ads" Harry called just as the twins were about to race up the stairs. "The doctor called today" 

"He did?" Addie bit her lip. She had been waiting almost two weeks for all of the results after her she had a number of scans to measure her heart function after her most recent procedure. 

"Yep" He popped the P "Your ejection fraction is up from 32 to 39%. He also see's no more evidence of valve leakage either" 

"Thats great Addie" Elijah grinned, pulling her into a side hug, placing a kiss on her temple. 

"He does want you to meet with your gastro doctor about surgery though" He called up the stairs but his voice didn't reach the twins, they had already began chasing each other around the halls. 

"Hey Ri-" Harry called his younger brother who was slumping up the stairs with his backpack slung over his shoulder and the twins' in the other hand, probably to deposit them in their rooms. "Are you sure you wanted to cancel your birthday?" Riley glanced back. 

"Yeh" It was the twin's 18th birthday and they had been planning their birthday party for months, but Riley had cancelled it last minute. Apparently he didn't want it anymore. He hadn't even mentioned his birthday the entire week despite the others mentioning it numerous times. 

********

Adeline sat at the table eating dinner with her brothers, James to her left with a book propped up under the table. 

Riley blew out the candles. The smile that was usually associated with birthday cakes was absent from his face.

"Happy birthday Ri" Harry said, wrapping an arm around his younger brothers neck.

"Thanks Harry"Riley protested as Harry had bought a cake out but blew out the candles to please their brother. 

 The five of them ate the cake as they chatted among themselves but it felt odd with Thomas not there. The house felt utterly empty without him. 

Addie hadn't seen Thomas for almost three weeks, as much as she hated to admit it she missed him - even his annoying name calling and sly pinches and kicks. They had spoken on the phone twice and although he seemed better he was completely vague about where he was and what he was doing. 

"Right presents" Harry stood, clapping his hands like a middle aged dad. 

"Harry, it's fine" Riley tried to protest but he was ignored. 

Riley opened the presents his siblings bestowed upon him, making the appropriate comments at the right time. 

"This is from me" Addie leant against his chair as he handed him a box tied with a blue bow. A pair of new bluetooth headphones and speaker lay in the box, she had bought the same for Thomas which was lying at the bottom of her nightstand.