Coming up Easy

Don't you remember seeing the sun coming up easy, whilst the rain came tumbling down?

-

Isaac awakens about an hour after Derek's fight with Laura. Derek's in his study, so lost within his own thoughts he doesn't realise when Isaac comes in.

He's hovering over by the open doorway, not quite sure whether he can wander in or not; his eyes are red and puffy, his clothes wrinkled and his curls a frizzed bundle atop his head.

He comes flying at Derek as soon as his father beckons him over, climbing up on his lap to rest his head on Derek's shoulder.

Derek meanwhile, does actually manage to get some work done in the hours that they sit there, even with one arm wrapped around his son.

Isaac's quiet as Derek works, the stillness is something that Derek hasn't seen in weeks. It still makes him just as uncomfortable to see: Isaac who's usually full of chatter and smiles being sad and sombre.

Soon, Derek finds himself rubbing the palm of his hand over his son's back as he nuzzles his cheek against the top of his head.

It's soothing if nothing else, being wrapped up so close and warm with his son.

Isaac's still a little shaken, and Derek feels unbelievable guilty for the screaming match he had gotten into with Laura. He didn't even think of Isaac, too caught up in the rage and hurt of the argument.

Derek just didn't think.

Eventually, he gives up all together in even attempting to do any more work.

He stands up and hitches Isaac higher up on his shoulder, his son's arm wrapped around his neck, and heads out of the study.

He does a quick check in the living room before he goes to the kitchen, satisfied that Wolf is still safely passed out on his dog-bed.

Derek ends up making the meal one handed, occasionally shoving things into Isaac's free hand to hold, all the while murmuring quietly to each other in conversation.

It's nice, Derek thinks, easy and fond in the familiarity of it all. Derek lives for spending time with his son, for when he can give him his full attention and just shower him with kisses and hugs and love because more than anything, Isaac needs to know that he's loved.

He needs to know that what Kate did was her fault and her fault alone.

So after dinner, Derek hands Isaac a bowl of vanilla and toffee ice cream as desert, even though it's not strictly the weekend yet, just for the way that Isaac's eyes widen in surprise and he grins at Derek before he demolishes the bowl.

Even the brain freeze that he gets from eating it too quickly, Isaac scrunches his eyes tight and shakes his head as he groans, licking the ice cream from the roof of his mouth, doesn't stop him from grinning along with his dad.

It's when they are sprawled out on the couch later, Isaac mostly returned to his normal self, to Derek's eternal relief, that his son turns wide, serious eyes on him.

"Dad?" he asks, swivelling in Derek's lap away from the cartoon playing on the television.

Derek hums in question, tearing his eyes away from the television to his son.

"Can you teach me how to be a werewolf now?"

He looks utterly grave, as if Derek would be bestowing an important honour on Isaac should he acquiesce.

Derek thinks to tell Isaac that he isn't actually a werewolf, in a way that wouldn't expose their utter fictionality of course, but then he sees the hopefulness in his son's eyes and he can't quite bring himself to do it.