#01

✫ ✧ ˚

✫ ✧ ˚ .  *  ✷ ˚ ✫

"Does he know we're coming?" you ask, hesitantly following your husband through the building which smells like mold mixed with weed. Thanks to the wild college years, not your own experiences of smoking though, you can detect the smell of weed quite easily knowing you've smelled it a lot during countless parties you were attending back then.

It's not very pleasant just like you remember, but at least you don't scrunch your nose in disgust like your husband does, which makes you giggle.

"Of course not," he merely scoffs, "He'd most likely escape than face me."

The honesty behind those words leave a bitter feeling in your chest, still not quite used to the bitterness between brothers. They're obviously not on good terms which makes you even more insecure and worried this is not going to end well. What makes him think his brother will help you? Just because he has a debt? Yes, it could be beneficial for both parties but this doesn't mean he'll agree to it so easily. You still have your doubts and don't let the hope totally consume you. It'll just hurt even more when all of this will end up badly and not as you hoped for.

On the other hand, despite your husband looking like he wants to be anywhere rather than here, you know he's a lot more hopeful in this than you're. Which is kind of surprising, considering how he lost hope in his brother on many occasions but then again... you don't want to get yourself involved in whatever brother rivalry they've going on.

Despite the building's not so pleasant smell, it doesn't look as shabby and old as you expected it to when you stepped out of a car. It is old for sure, and it's not as modern as the buildings you usually visit, but it doesn't look that bad.

Your footsteps are halted, fortunately for your feet and those damn heels you're wearing, as your husband stops in front of a dark wooden door. You stay behind him, looking around to feed your curiosity but also mask your own nervosity because this is it. It doesn't take a genius to know you're here and soon, you'll face his brother together.

Your husband raises his fist to knock on the door, firmly but not too hard while you're anxiously nibbling on your bottom lip. Staring at the door, you both wait for a few seconds as you hear your husband sigh and raise his fist again. Just when you think he's probably not in there, doing god knows what, you hear a distant sound of something before a deep and loud voice calls out. Or more like grumbles.

"Comin'!"

Tensing, you almost reach for your husband's arm and hold it tightly but you remain glued to your spot, just counting off the seconds before the door snaps open. And there he is.

The last time you've seen him, it was one of those family dinners that weren't so pleasant considering how everyone seemed tense and overall, there was too much negativity around the dining table.