5 - A MURDER ON MAIN STREET

FOOL'S GOLD
CHAPTER FIVE

MOVING on is not the easiest task

MOVING on is not the easiest task. It requires time, effort and an easy going personality. That was something Annie didn't have. She obsessed. Her brain rattled over and over again about the stupidity of her mistakes. Even as The Wizard of Oz, a group favourite, played on Trin's large TV, Annie's mind was elsewhere. The trio had noticed their friend's lack of presence but knew the root of her distance. Or they thought they did.

Annie didn't speak of that night. Of the mistake she had made, of the consequences she would face. She knew her friends disapproved of her situation, this would only make it worse. She bit her nails in silent anxiety. Her nail beds, fraying, almost bleeding.

She hadn't even noticed that the movie had finished. Trin nudged her shoulder, tearing her away from her own brain. She left Trin's house with a smile and silence. Her friends watched the sad sunshine leave into the night with worried expressions. Except Kaelyn, of course, who rolled her eyes instead.

The last thing that Annie expected was to face one of her problems at eleven o'clock at night. She stood dead in the road with curious eyes. She questioned her strength for tonight. Could she bear another rejection today? A large part of her no, walk away. But again, Annie made stupid decisions.

"What are you doing here?" Her voice was loud in the quiet street. Jess stopped in his tracks, shocked at the sudden noise. His feet scuffed against the pavement and hugged his bag closer to his chest.

"picking up groceries." He shrugged nonchalantly, his eyes focusing on the lamppost rather than the blonde.

"at 11 o'clock at night?"

"What can I say? I enjoy a midnight snack." He remarked, finally looking her in the eyes.

Annie pushed herself to her tiptoes, peaking at the contents of his bag. "Ah yes, a lovely meal of chalk, red paint, and tape."

"A basic New York meal."

"Stars Hollow is deprived."

"Extremely." Silence grew between them. Jess looked back and forth between streets, keeping an eye on other possible passerbys. "So, you gonna go away?"

A smirk formed on her lips as she crossed her arms in front of her. "I think I'd like to see this meal go down."

Jess pressed his lips together, sucking in some air. "You ever pulled a prank, Hartley?"

"No, pranks make enemies, I only make friends."

"I'm familiar." He retorted. "You friends with this Taylor dude?"

"Friends is a strong word."

"Is there anyone you're not friends with?" He enquired. It seemed natural that everyone had at least one enemy in life. At least one person that you didn't like. But not Annie. The one who loved everyone. The one who everyone loved.