9 - AMY MARCH

FOOL'S GOLD
CHAPTER NINE

FOOL'S GOLDCHAPTER NINE

JESS DECIDED TO STAY WHICH MADE ANNIE'S PERKY HEART FLUTTER. Granted the night still could've gone better. Jess spent the night criticising Annie's film choices. He thought her array of romance movies was as laughable as the concept of love as a whole. His cynicism was not to be challenged. Annie fell asleep after a while of listening to his loud opinions and feeling stupid for her choices. She wasn't sure when he left. She woke up on her couch with a blanket lazily draped over her which she wasn't sure if it was placed by Jess or her father. She didn't want to get her hopes up but the lingering fantasy of requited love was there. Nonetheless her theory was know a fact. Jess had confessed to liking Rory which put Annie in an awkward position. Did she give up now? Stop chasing this fake, idealistic romance that she had made up in her head? She wasn't sure what to do.

However it occurred to Annie that she hadn't exhausted all means of trying to win him over. She had been trying to sway him the way she had done everyone else; muffins and acts of kindness. She had taken an interest in his hobbies but she hadn't actually attempted them. Luckily for her, his hobbies didn't include mountain biking or skydiving so finding a book to read would be the easy part.

Annie went to the local library that she'd never actually been to since Rory Gilmore's seventh birthday party. From the moment she walked in, she sensed she didn't belong. The librarian stared at her through her square glasses, watching her every move. It was if she was a criminal, ready to set explosives off in the middle of the sci-fi section. Annie felt uneasy under the woman's watchful eye but she moved with as much grace as she could.

Annie felt lost amongst the shelves. She didn't know where to start. Familiar titles popped out at her but she didn't know what she would like or what Jess did like. Her hand grazed the spines but nothing jumped out at her. She removed one book from the shelf. Romeo and Juliet. One she had definitely heard of. She opened the book, inspecting the pages for a sign of hope but the words got lost in her brain and the letters became foreign. She sighed in defeat as she pushed the book back into it's place. Her strength pushed too far and as the book slid in another book pushed out of the other side. Annie heard a yelp and then a clatter. She rushed around the shelf, immediately apologising to whoever she had hit.

"Rory?" The brunette girl collected herself from the floor, carrying a stack of books close to her chest as well as the book that had smacked her in the head. Annie grew still at the sight of her rival. She never had anything against Rory Gilmore and even now she still didn't but it was difficult to not look at her and see everything she wasn't. She hated the feeling that stirred in her chest. She fumbled another apology to the girl instead. "I'm so sorry, I wasn't paying attention."