𝙸𝙸-

June 1943, Brooklyn.

      You, Steve, and Margaret were in a car. "How do you two know each other?" Asked Peggy. "He's my brother's best friend so I also am friend with him." You replied with a smile. Steve looked through the window. 

 "I know this neighborhood. I got beat up in that alley. And that parking lot. And behind that diner." Said he. "Did you have something against running away?" Asked the British woman. "You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back. Can't say no forever, right?"
"I know a little of what that's like. To have every door shut in your face." Said she looking at you with a knowing look.

"I guess I just don't why you'd wanna join the army if you're a beautiful dame. Or a beautiful... a woman. An agent, not a dame! You are beautiful, but..." You burst out laughing. "Steve, you're not helping by saying that."

"You have no idea how to talk to a woman, do you?" Said she. "I am basically the only woman asides from his mother he ever spoke with." You replied. "This is the longest conversation I've had with one other than y/n. Women aren't exactly lining up to dance with a guy they might step on."

"You must have danced?" Asked the Agent. "Well, asking a woman to dance always seems so terrifying. And the past few years just didn't seem to matter that much." Replied he. "I have witnessed his dancing skills, he's a dead hoofer." You retorted. 
"No need to remind me this y/n." He looked at Peggy. " Figured I'd wait." He said.

"For what?" She retorted. "The right partner." Answered he. You smiled. "I'm sure you'll find her." The car stopped in front of an antique shop and you got out of the car. 

"This way." Said Peggy. "What are we doing here?" Asked the skinny man. "Follow me." Replied the brunette before you got inside. "Wonderful weather this morning isn't it?" Said the Antique Store owner. "Yes, but I always carry an umbrella." Replied Peggy. You smirked when you saw Steve's amazed look.

"I missed having secret codes." You said to Peggy with a smile she returned. Peggy leaded Steve and you into the hidden lab to Dr. Erskine and his team, in a big circular room filled with machinery and a pod in the middle.

"Good morning." Said Erskine shaking Steve's hand. Someone suddenly took a photograph. "Please, not now." Retorted the scientist as the photographer walked away.  Steve looked at the pod. "Are you ready?" Asked he. Steve nodded. "Good. Take off your shirt, your tie, and your hat."

You and Peggy turned your head in order to give him privacy. Steve climbed into the pod and laid down. "Comfortable?" Asked Erskine. "It's a little big. Did you save me any of that schnapps?" Asked Steve making you chuckle. "Not as much as I should have. Sorry. Next time. Mr. Stark, how are your levels?" The mention of Howard's name caught your attention and turned around, only to face the man you didn't want to see.

"Levels at 100%." Said he. "Good." Replied Abraham. Howard smirked when he saw you. "My my... Y/n Barnes. What are you doing here? It's been a long time since I've seen you. I swear you get prettier every time I see you." He took your hand and placed a gentle kiss on your knuckles. You gave him a tight lips smile and tried to avoid the warmth creeping on your cheeks. "I'm good, thank you." 

"Are you two done flirting?" Asked the doctor. Your eyes widened. "Sorry. We'll continue this after." Replied Howard with a smirk. "We may dim half the lights in Brooklyn, but we are ready as we'll ever be." Retorted the genius.

"Agent Carter, Agent Barnes? Don't you think you would be more comfortable in the booth?" Asked Erskine. "Oh, yes. Of course. Sorry." Peggy and you answered. "Good." He took a microphone and taped it. "Do you hear me? is this on? Ladies and gentlemen, today we take not another step towards annihilation, but the first step on the path to peace." 

you began to get worried and Peggy gave you a reassuring hand squeeze. "We begin with a series of micro-injections into the subject's major muscle groups. The serum infusion will cause immediate cellular change. And then to stimulate growth, the subject will be saturated with Vita-Rays." 
"That wasn't so bad." Said Steve after a nurse injected him a product.  "That was penicillin." He replied. "Serum infusion beginning in five, four, three, two, one."

The serum was injected into Steve. "Now, Mr. Stark." Howard lowered a leaver, the pod moved upright and enclosed Steve inside.

"Steven, can you hear me?" Asked Erskine as he knocked on the capsule. "It's probably too late to go to the bathroom, right?" You chuckled at Steve's words. "We will proceed." Said Abraham turning to Stark. "That's ten percent. Twenty percent. Thirty. That's 40 %." Yelled Stark as he managed the controls. "Vital signs are normal." Informed an SSR doctor. "That's 50 %. Sixty. Seventy." Said Howard.

Suddenly, Steve began to scream in pain. You gasped. "Steven!" Said Erskine. "Shut it down." Yelled Peggy. "Steven!" He knocked once again on the pod. "Shut it down!" Screamed Peggy. "Stark! turn it off!" You shouted.

"Kill the reactor, Mr. Stark! Turn it off! Kill it! Kill the reactor!" Said Erskine panicking. "No! Don't! I can do this!" Said Steve through the capsule. You and Margaret shared a worried look. "Eighty. Ninety. That's 100 %." Said Howard.  Everything overloaded until the reactor closed itself down.

"Mr. Stark?" Said Erskine as Stark opened the pod. You gasped when you saw your friend. "Wow..." You said in disbelief. "Steven. Steven." Called Abraham. "I did it." Said the super-soldier stumbling out of the pod as Stark and Erkine supported him. "Yeah, yeah. I think we did it." Retorted the scientist. "We actually did it..." Said Stark.

You and Peggy joined Steven Erskine and Howard. "How do you feel?" Asked Peggy. "Taller." Replied Steve making you chuckle. "You look taller indeed. Look at you being a giant and muscly man." You said handing him a piece of clothing. "Congratulations, Doctor." Said a Senator shaking Erskine's hand. "Thank you, sir." 

You turned to Howard. "Good job Stark, for once you didn't-" Suddenly, someone detonated a bomb in the observation room and used the confusion to steal the last vial of the serum. Howard shielded your body with his in order to protect you. "What was that?" You asked with wide eyes. 

"Are you okay?!" Asked Howard concerned. "Y-Yeah, thank you." You replied in shock. "Stop him!" Shouted Erskine. Kruger, the author of this mess shot him and ran away with Peggy chasing after him.

Stark glanced at you. "What?" You asked slightly confused. "You have a few pieces of glass in your hair and some of them cut your cheek." He carefully took the glass out of your hair. "Can someone get me a tweezer?" Asked Stark. A nurse quickly gave him one. 

"Alright, I'm sorry if it hurts a little." The brunette cupped your face and gently took the last glass fragments. "Done." He said softly. You gave him a thankful smile. "Thank you, Howard." He chuckled. "I couldn't let your pretty face gets all bruised." You playfully rolled your eyes and glanced at Steve and Erskine with a sad smile. 

I hope you liked this chapter!

Have an incredible day <3

M~