Chapter - 2 It's my Funeral

Raine Simmons

Raine Simmons

"You have to marry him, Raine." He said holding me with a grip on my shoulder.

I blinked once. Twice.

I thought he would tell me that it's a stupid joke to lift my shitty mood from killing 3 people early in the morning.

But deep down I know he was never the one to play such pranks, at least not of that sort.

"What?" I asked, dumbfounded. "I won't marry him and, I am too young to get married." I frowned slightly and all he did, was glare.

"Sure, your 25 year old ass is too young to get married. Tell me Raine, at what age do you think people get married? 45 years?" He said crossing his hands. His lips were slightly twitching, trying to hide their smile.

He knew. He knew, I was trying to get on his nerves and to persuade him, but darn this old man. He's just too smart.

"But -"

"There's no but. You have to do it." He said with a firm tone, the underlying love, and respect, which is something I could never miss.

Sure, we grew so close over the past 9 years or so, and I could easily tell whether he was lying or trying to annoy the shit out of me.

I couldn't understand, why did he choose me?

"Your majesty, I respect you. I do, but you, out of all people must know that I can't risk it. I can't risk getting caught or being seen, by anyone else."

"I know Raine, I know." He said, squeezing my shoulders. "I didn't think about anything else because, I care about you. It's for your own good. There's no one else I would rather have as my daughter-in-law." He said proudly. "And... You will thank me later."

His deep blue eyes were full of warmth and fatherly love. They shone brightly in the light of the scorching rising sun, that peeped through the window of my home.

It was early in the morning around 8 or so, when his majesty entered my humble abode dressed black, from top to bottom just the way I dress every time to spy or kill someone.

"I took an oath to protect the throne, protect the king and his family but not to rule by his side. Please understand this." I pleaded, looking at him, who's stature was just an inch or two more than mine.

I was never the one to plead. It would always be the other way round. Pleading me, begging me for mercy which I had none for the one who betrays.

I torture them until their cries and plead to die but, I don't make it any easy for them. I let them bleed, until they have no energy to hang on, until they beg me on their knees to end this torture.