Chapter 37: where it all began?

Darius Blackwood

Darius Blackwood

"I am sorry, your majesty..."

"I have a last wish. I want you to break my connection with his majesty Darius."

"No!"

"Your majesty? You should be resting." I heard someone rush in towards me.

I felt a sharp pain on my back as I tried sitting straight up. The sunlight that peeked through the window of the seemingly unfamiliar room, made it difficult to keep my eyes open.

"No, I don't want to. Not when her life is in danger."

"But, we can't do anything about it, your majesty." That old man shook his head, reached for the glass of water and handed it over to me.

I gulped it down in one go. "And you are?"

"I am Stefan."

"Nice to meet you, Elder Stefan."

He nodded, smiling, his eyes crinkled during the process. "So, may I ask what you saw?"

I nodded. "She's thinking of breaking her connection with me."

Just the thought of her doing that, wasn't settling well with me and it was rather odd that I kept feeling this way.

How could she do that? What on earth was going on in her mind? What would I even do without the connection??

Fuck!!!

"Do you want to go outside, your majesty? Perhaps take a walk?"

I shrugged. "Sure."

•°•°•°•°•°

"She's right." He spoke, quite a while after we started our walk through the beautiful orchids there.

That pulled me out of my thoughts from earlier. I frowned. "What are you implying?" I came to a halt and so did he.

He stared at me, a smile played on his lips as the cold gush brushed us. "I mean, she's very thoughtful, your majesty. She's actually trying to buy us... buy you, some time. The connection that's between you weakens both. Which means, you would be weak and it may extend to the point that it may actually kill you. And breaking the bond is the only way to save you, for now."

"At the cost of what? Her life? I'm not going to let her or anyone else die, saving me."

"I know, your majesty, that's what makes you a great king. But you see your majesty, this connection that you both share, isn't something that can be broken that easily, at least not with some spells that we commonly use."

That pushed me further into confusion. I groaned, pushing my hair back in frustration. "Then?" I asked, looking at him.

"The answer to this lies in you, your majesty. Within your heart. You just need to follow it, let it guide you. It will help you reach your Raine. Just go back to where it all began, it will help you."

•°•°•°•°•

Where did it all begin? What did he mean?

Could anyone not answer me in circles? Especially when I was running out of my mind.

Thinking, I let the hot water cool down my muscles. My back, though it was full of pain, begging me to turn the hot water off, something in me made it quite numb to it all.

I just stayed there.

A small, faint voice called out to me just then. I turned around haphazardly, only to find no one. Sure, it was a strange place, one I had never seen but hearing of someone speak out of nowhere?

I shrugged the thought. Maybe it was all in my head. Damn! That woman...

She was making me so worried, which was so weird by the way.

"Black?"

A wave of relief washed over me as I heard the voice of the girl who kept invading my thoughts, dreams, haunting me in every way possible, since the day she left.

"Ash?" I turned around, turning off the shower. "Where are you?"

"Black... you remember me?"

"Yes of course, I remember you dammit. I miss you. How could I forget my first- best friend?"

Love

"Aw, I missed you too. I would love to talk to you but, I guess you need my guidance here."

"Guidance? What are you saying? Wait, where are you? Why am I not able to see you?" I asked in a worried tone as I stepped out of the shower, tying the bath robe.

"That's what I wanted to show you. I am closer to you, than you think but farther at the moment."

Her voice slightly fading, making me sigh.

"Please meet me at my home, at midnight. I'll tell you there."

"Wait..." and just like that, she was... gone.

*****

The air was quite chilly as it brushed past me. It had been a few moments since I had arrived at the house. The one that was filled with many memories.

Those playful banters, those childish talks, those carefree nature of ours, it was as if everything- every goddamn thing was playing right in front of me.

It was at that moment I realised, I missed her a lot more than I actually thought I did. She didn't really leave me. No! She left her voice, memories, scent and what not.

"Ash, where are you?" I whispered, more like, to myself.

It really got me wondering if it was real. Did I really hear her voice? Or, what if that was all in my head?

Sighing, I fished out my phone and started scrolling through it aimlessly. Unknowingly, I pressed the folder that contained some pictures that Ed sent me a few days ago.

And seeing them brought back many things that I've been trying to ignore since that day, but somehow failed miserably.

They all lead to a single person. Raine.

'Are you okay, Simmons?' Yet, I was met with complete silence.

Never in my life have I felt silence this deafening and that was driving me effing crazy. Not even when I hardly talked to her.

I didn't know where I was going. As if my legs had a mind of their own, I started walking through the road, that was familiar in every sense.

I walked until I reached the place, where indeed everything had begun.

Her home.

******

Heyo!! It's been so long. I've been busy lately. I hope y'all are doing great.

Love 💕

Mikaelson

WC: 1028