Chapter 6: Afternoon Inquisitor

{Millie}

Aura slinked into the clearing with a mask of indifference, but her hands betrayed her. They were clasped in front of her, a telltale sign that her thumbs would be twiddling rapidly in the cover of their palms.

I really, really hoped that she didn't hear what they were saying today. I heard talk of it when I entered the clearing, saw people shoot deep, sorrowful eyes at Eli, as if we were all attending his open casket.

Our group took the same spot again as yesterday, at the blurred forest edge. Danny gave me a bemused look when I insisted that I liked sitting there. I didn't, but I thought the further away we were from everyone else was better for Aura – less whispers and eyes. And the way people were staring at Eli was... haunting. The shade of the trees were a short moment of reprieve until the subtle fear billowed to the surface, raising goosebumps on my skin.

Danny squinted at the raised hairs on my arm and smirked. I made to swat him, but he was too quick. He begrudgingly offered his arm back to me at the sight of my pout, an amused smile playing on his lips. Was he smirking again? My hand hit the ground as he pulled away at the last second, looking far too smug.

Done with Danny, I turned and focused on Aura's arrival who sat with hands in her lap, thumbs a blur. That wasn't uncommon for Aura, it was her default when she was in her head about something or other. What was strange though was her flitting eyes searching the heads of our classmates, who, normally, were no more than mere ants going about unnoticed in Aura's world. Existing, but of zero interest or consequence to her.

Aura froze, dropping her gaze to lock with mine. "Aren't you going to listen to Mrs. Maze?"

I looked to our teacher and back. "Nope. If it's important you'll tell me."

"What if I wasn't here?"

"What are you looking for?"

She was motionless for a moment before speaking, like an animal hoping if it didn't move it wouldn't be seen. "Someone."

I perked up. "Oooh, who?"

"You're very nosy, you know that right?"

"I know," I said, smiling and patting her fidgeting hands. I scanned the heads in front of us, "So, who am I looking for?"

"He's not here."

I almost gave myself whiplash as I snapped my head back to look at her. "He?"

Aura's eyes narrowed. I was walking on eggshells right now. One had to tread very carefully with Aura. If I got too excited she would put up a fight, and the amount of information I could extract directly correlated to my level of enthusiasm. This was a challenge, a test, the only one I'd ever willingly take, for the reward is far greater than the sacrifice.

"So..." I broached with caution, "who is he?"

"I don't know." How could you not know?! I wanted to squeal. But I didn't. I was Yoda.

"He's not in our magic class so he must be a specialist. Do you know what he looks like?"

"Yes."

"Can you describe him? I might be able to figure it out," I suggested, focusing on inserting softness into my voice so as not to spook her. It was similar to handling a wild animal.

"He was tall. Had brown eyes. Black hair."

"That's it? Aura, brown eyes and black hair is the majority of the world's population. I have brown eyes and black hair."

"But you're not a boy. Or tall for that matter."

"Thank you for so kindly pointing that out. Now, are there no other details you can remember? Where did you see him?"

"I saw him in the forest."

I didn't answer for a moment. I bit my lip, knowing she went there to hide and not liking it. "Aura, it's dangerous in there. You shouldn't go in alone, or without telling someone first – in case you, you know..."

"Don't come back," Aura finished lightly. "Mil, I wasn't far from the clearing, and it turns out I wasn't alone."

I frowned, "I don't understand. Why would anyone else be in there? Did you talk to him?"

"No, no I didn't talk to him."

"Hm, and you didn't get a better look? Was he cute?" I asked hopefully. Aura hadn't thought anyone was cute since we were twelve.

"I didn't see much before I left."

"That's not much to go on. If you didn't talk to him then why do you want to know who is?"

"I was just curious who would be in the forest is all, ok?" she defended. "It doesn't matter anyway. Let's just work on the assignment."

"Ok," I said, giving her one last look. She was keeping something from me, but I wasn't going to get any more information today. I settled for imagining an improbable future where Aura got a popular boyfriend, her new connection saving her from ostracization, and thus enabling her to eat lunch with me in the cafeteria every single day.

My lovely fantasy dissolved in my current reality upon looking up. Eli was throwing Aura dark looks every few seconds over his shoulder.

I felt bad for Eli, I really did. He wasn't my favourite person of all time, but to have his life threatened like that... Aura said he deserved it, but I don't know if anyone deserves that. I still didn't like the looks Eli was giving her, though. They unnerved me. And yet Aura didn't notice at all, or maybe chose not to notice as she practised invisible magic with the air around her. She did, after all, have the reputation now of being the most powerful fairy at school, and true or not it was probably enough to make her feel safe. I certainly would feel invincible if I were able to choke people like that.

I turned away from Aura and the glares she was receiving and inched towards Danny, Paya, and Cira. I needed a distraction, my head hurt from all the problems swirling around in it. Not to mention, ethical contemplations made me furrow my brow, and that led to wrinkles.

Danny, Paya, and Cira were discussing the assignment halfheartedly as I sat outside the edge of their little circle and listened in. It seemed they hadn't made any progress with Mrs. Maze's 'outside-of-the-box' magic assignment. I half-hoped they would turn around and ask me what I thought, moving aside to invite me into their circle, but they didn't.

They wouldn't look up until I talked to them. I was on Aura's planet now, alone and untouchable until I walked the interplanetary bridge only I had access to and made contact with the other sphere. Sometimes it was nice, the quiet and exclusiveness. But other times it felt like both planets judged me for not staying put, wondering if I thought that their planet wasn't good enough to live on and that's why I was always walking the distance in between.

//// 

Thank you so much for reading this far!  Vote if you liked this chapter or others!  Voting lets me know which chapters are your favourite so I know what to keep doing for future chapters :)

Also please leave any comments, from grammar to sentence structure to plot suggestions or thoughts! I really want to create the best story possible for you to read!

Note to older readers, if you had read my story when it was first published, you'll notice that now I made some edits to the previous chapters and changed two names.  Era is now Millie, and Ricky is now Danny.  If you only know them by Millie and Danny then there is no need to go back and reread, you have already read the updated chapters!  I uploaded chapter edits and name changes all at the same time! :)

Have a wonderful day!