Chapter 7: Double Batch

{Millie}

"Millie, are you going to walk home with us?" asked Danny. The clock read 2:25. Five more minutes till freedom.

I looked away from the clock, "Us?"

"Yeah, you didn't walk home with us last night, so I figured you were... occupied." Apparently Aura was now She-who-must-not-be-named. I didn't understand everyone, she was just a tiny redhead wearing flowy dresses. That didn't really scream Devil conspirator.

"Y'know," Danny continued, "Cause you usually tell me if you're walking home with us or not."

"Us?" I repeated. "Last I checked Danny, for the past two years it's only been you and I walking home together."

"Cira lives nearby. You didn't know that?"

"No, I didn't," I blushed. Thankfully, my hair covered my face.

"Well, if you walked home with me yesterday you would have known," Danny huffed.

"You're so needy, Danny," I teased, poking him.

"Am not," he grumbled, leaning back in his chair.

"Yes, you are. Don't worry, I'll walk home with you tonight. You obviously can't go one evening without me."

Danny crossed his arms, letting his blonde locks conceal his eyes. "Get over yourself. I can't go one evening without your cookies," he muttered under his breath.

"And you think I'll make you cookies after magic class today?" Now it was my turn to huff. "You think I'm a scaredy-cat!"

Danny bit his lip in that infuriating way when he tries to conceal a grin. "Millie," he started slowly, biting his lip harder at my angry expression. Amusing was not the effect I was going for at the moment. "Mill, you got goosebumps."

"It was cold! I was sitting under the shade. You were in the sun so you wouldn't know."

Danny chuckled under his breath, harmonizing with the squeal of his chair. Any movement he made caused the metal foldouts to whine in protest under his weight.

"Are you laughing at me?" I exclaimed, dropping my voice to a whisper. Ms. Wosner, the English teacher, was giving us the eye. I slid my blank paper closer and wrote down my name, hoping that would be enough to make her think I was working.

"Are you going to try and do the assignment now! There's five minutes left, you know that right?"

"Yes," I said sullenly. "If you'd stop bothering me than I could at least come up with my argument."

"Mill," Danny laughed, "This is a short story assignment, not an opinion piece. It's written on the board."

"I knew that," I mumbled, pouting. "Where's your story then? Your page is blank too."

"Actually, it's not," Danny said, flipping it over to reveal each line filled with neat handwriting.

So not fair. "When did you do that!" And when did his handwriting get so nice?

"When you were daydreaming."

"Why weren't you daydreaming with me, huh? Since when did you pay attention?" I asked sulkily.

Danny shrugged, a little sheepish. "There was nothing else to do..."

"Oh, so now it's my fault you're a good student. I am to blame for the demise of slacker Danny. Well, I don't want that responsibility! You can say goodbye to my cookies tonight - teach you a lesson." I inserted a hmph in there for good measure and turned my nose away.