002 | Tiny Light

"THAT COLD WINTER DAY, she fell to the deepest pit of despair, along with the waterfall that raced down from my eyes in a series of cascades

"THAT COLD WINTER DAY, she fell to the deepest pit of despair, along with the waterfall that raced down from my eyes in a series of cascades."

The white-blues and heaven-given wintry dreams swirled above the sky; an icy serenade, bringing its melodious stoic aura. Arriving to the icy land with lucid and crystalline white trails is none other than the winter goddess, stifling the world with its icy breath as the dulcet tones of the bleak, glacial landscapes outdoors calls out to young and free spirits of the world to come play in the paradise this season has to offer.

It was a perfect day. Supposedly, it was.

A petite, young girl stood in front of everyone. Midnight strands of starlight hugged her face whilst her eyes crinkled at the edges and the corners of her lips slid upwards. Too sweet to be true that mere children could not have known she was putting a front.

"Listen up, everyone. We've got good news! A lovely couple is pleased to take your sister as their first child. Isn't that great?" Isabella holds the girl's shoulders and her siblings stared at her with mixed emotions. Whining, crying, and complaining how her leave seemed so unexpected. Yet despite that, she held the same smile of hers, never once faltering.

"What?! But I don't want her to go!" Emma cried and Norman pats the girl to comfort her even though he, himself, had a stream of tears pouring from his ocean-Atlantic orbs. "She has to have a family too, Emma."

Before the soon-to-be adopted girl could utter a response to two of her closest friends, she was already pulled outside by her jet-black haired friend once Mama was out of their sight. A troubled look loitering on his features and she could feel how tense he was from his grip on her pale hand. The calls of his other siblings were tuned out, along with the shouts coming out from her. 

I need to get her out of here. That was the only thing he could think of. He wasn't going to let it end so easily. Other than the fear of losing her, he felt angry because Isabella never mentioned a thing about this. How could she keep this from me?

"Let me go, Ray!" His tight hold parted from hers and he could see how concerned she look from his questionable actions. The once evergreen trees of the forest they are now surrounded are coated with a snow-white brilliance; it was the forest their childhood memories are made of.  "What's wrong? Why are you so anxious?" She paused and clenched her uniform from the cold. 

"What are you so afraid of?"

The eight-year old gritted his teeth. He could not answer her since he also wasn't sure why he was acting like this. He had seen a lot of deaths flash from his eyes but her . . . He could not let her go and watch her end up the same as them. It was cruel that he was biased but he was not going to deny he favored her more than the others.

She flinched when she felt his hands clutched on her shoulders, harshly. "You have to run away and escape. It's not safe outside." The statement caused the latter to give a grimace of pain and confusion. A lot was happening in such a short time that even a talented prodigy like her could not process his words. "Ray . . . What do you know? You're hiding something, aren't you?"