Chapter 38: The Song No One Knows

Kazuki had treated the younger girl to lunch, but he resigned himself to staying silent during the ride back to the penthouse. His expression was confusing to the younger girl who tried to figure out if she had done anything wrong. There wasn't so much as a hint to what he was feeling. That being said, she didn't stop staring at him, watching the moves he made to attempt to figure out his thoughts.

After much deliberation, she had decided that he was feeling guilty. However, she didn't know why or how to fix it. Though she tried to help, he didn't let her, keeping a select distance from her. As soon as they entered the penthouse, he locked himself in his room and worked continuously. It was like he had never known she existed or that she was a ghost. It wasn't a pleasant feeling.

(Y/n) must have been sitting outside the blonde's door for hours. She was curled up, her knees tucked into her chest, possessing a frown on her typically curious face. Ichiro wasn't going to be back until later that evening, and she was left alone. To be perfectly honest, she didn't care who she was with as long as she was with someone she knew just a little. Still, there was no doubt that she desired Kazuki's company more than anyone else's.

He was a distant person at heart, predisposed towards being mainly solitary, something he had in common with her. But he wasn't a cruel person. No, he was undeniably kind and nurturing. In much the same way he cared for Ichiro, he cared for her, and she wanted him to comfort her. He was oddly good at it, and she craved the sound of his voice. She didn't know why, but she didn't care to. Her loneliness wanted to be sated by his comforting presence, so that's all she thought about.

Still, the younger girl was not the only one lost in her mind or craving something. Kazuki, himself, was pondering over moments in his past, wondering what he could have done to change them. Of course, the past was the past, and there was no changing it, but it didn't stop the drowning male from trying to breathe.

He saw the beached skulls and wrecks lying just beneath the sea's masking waves; things he caused. They were preserved only to stare back at him with eyes reminiscent of pitch black. Yes, it was him who created the skulls; him that created the submerged artifacts of a time long past; him that suffered for it.

Was there ever a time he loved the sound of his somber songs? Like a sunken music box laying in the decrepit box of a treasure chest, it was damaged. The water had ruined its once clear song, its pitch a meaningless and empty thing. The princess spinning inside had stopped and there was no appeal to a music box without a spinning princess. The blonde didn't touch the music box; didn't think of it.

If he were to sing the song nobody knows, it was a shipwreck waiting to happen. The song that entranced the seeker of innocence and purity, met with the fate reserved to a fool. An unwilling lorelei it seemed, the male found his wings plucked and made into a crown for the higher power that had bested him. He wouldn't be the winner, teased and ridiculed for even attempting to climb to such heights. His songs didn't seem so sweet anymore.

Kazuki's tears were as salty as the ocean, rushing down his cheeks like a wave under the moon. He realized long ago that he was trapped on such a small island, banished from the realm of gods and goddesses out of spite. The male was fated to live until one who heard his song was able to pass by him. And so close one was. Until she crashed into the shore and drowned like the fool she was.

It had long been in the blonde's mind that he wished never to let a person escape his song, entrapping them all in his dew-dropped web of alluring lies. Yes, it was beauty that compelled them, the fascination that came along with it. He never looked anyone in the eyes, and thus, was mysterious and innocent. It only made the fools swim quicker to their death. And for a time, the male was happy to be immortal.