Underwater

"I...I'm not ready." Tears threaten to spill over my eyes. Alex holds my face in his hands. "Baby…." He tries to smile, but it doesn't reach his eyes. "Please Alex." "It's time to go home. Your home. I..I can't be selfish. I can't turn you, not when you're so... innocent. Sweet. Naive." "You're sending me back to a world who doesn't want me." I told him. "Baby. This world, here, is dangerous. As a human, you're a target. Back in your timeline, your reality, the world is different." "I wouldn't be able to come back. I don't even know how I got here all those months ago." I say. "Maybe that's a good thing." But we both know, it doesn't feel like it. 

Six months prior…

I dove into the water, it was dark, and the cold stung my skin. I loved night swimming, with the sun barely hitting the ground. Hidden beneath the trees. Suddenly, I couldn't come up. I struggled to swim and couldn't breathe. Water hit.my lungs and the world fades. I was dying. 

I cough up water. "She's fine." My eyes widen at the man's voice and I jump back. "Whoa! I'm doctor Lee Jacobs. Do you know who you are?" The man was in his fifties at least, salt and pepper hair, a bald spot, a beer belly, but that wasn't the most strange part. His pointed ears were. "Uh...I'm Ariella Valera." He nods. Another man steps forward. He's my age, paler skin and dark hair. "My name's Alexander Vintici." His accent was strange, like an old eighteen hundreds accent. "Where am I?" "Northern Vixen." He says as it was the most common thing in the world. Northern Vixen? I try to remember geography but I know I would have remembered that one. "Uh...right." he smirks. "Go in doc. Get back to the hospital." He scurries off, and I realize how short he is. "Your human." I laugh. "Of course. What are you? A unicorn?" I joke. "Vampire." I scoff. "you have no idea, do you?" My father, was in the study of supernatural creatures. Wrote about them. Made a lot of money. So part of me believed this made sense. But my normal half was confused. "So he was a...pixie?" "Elves" He corrects. Duh. Dumb me. "We should get you someplace warm. Changed. It's only eleven pm." He reaches for me but I stand up on my own. He's tall. A lot taller than me. "You're taking this surprisingly well." He says as I follow him. "My father studied creatures. Everyone thinks he's crazy." "Is he?" "No." I say honestly. "When can I return home?" "Honestly? We aren't quite sure how you got here or how you can return. Our scientists are working on it." I panic. My mother will be furious. "I have to go. My mother…" "I can only offer you sanctuary until we find out how you can leave." I sigh. A normal person would panic, me, I was gonna gather information for my father. 

His house is blue. With white trimming. Three bedrooms, three bathrooms, an upstairs and a downstairs. "This will be your room." It's much bigger than mine at home. "Alexander?" I say as I follow him in. "Yes Ariella?" I scrunch my nose at my full name. I said it out of panic. "Why are you being so kind?" "You've heard monster stories then?" I nod. "I was once human. A long time ago I admit, but I am compassionate towards every creature. We have so many here, in harmony. Werewolf's, pixies, fairies, vampires, ghosts, and everything in between. Humans are no different." I nod. "thank you for your kindness." "There are towels in the bathroom. I have had my maid put your clothing in there as well and fill the drawers. I apologize on the color, we were not sure your style." He stares at me. I am wearing a surfing suit. Always long sleeve clothing. Pants. "There are shoes in the closet. I will see you in the morning Ariella." Something in me was so attached to him, there was something so familiar about him, it was insane.