Max Verstappen x Daniel Ricciardo

Daniel had absolutely no idea how he wanted to do this. He had tried to come up with a plan about a hundred times now but he never managed to find the words that actually expressed his thoughts and feelings properly.
Whenever he tried to say the words out loud or even just inside his head, they just didn't sound right. They didn't do all of his emotions justice in the slightest.

So, the spontaneous idiot that he was, he decided to not rehearse anything and just go with it. To just blurt out whatever he was feeling right in the moment.
(Because that sounded like absolutely nothing could go wrong, for sure...)

"Max? Hey, can we talk for a second?" Max heard his boyfriend ask behind him.
"Sure, what's up?" As he turned around, he saw Daniel standing on the threshold to their bedroom, which he was currently in. The Australian had a serious look on his face and scratched his beard like he always did when he was nervous.

"Is something wrong?" Max had immediately picked up on his lover's strange behaviour and tense body language. Daniel should have expected this, Max knew him (and his body...) better than anyone else after all.
He had tried to act as casual as possible but at the thought of what he was about to do, the lump in his throat just got bigger and bigger by the second and his body didn't quite obey his brain's orders anymore.

Daniel slowly moved across the room and sat on the foot end of their bed before patting the space next to him so Max would follow.
The Dutchman furrowed his brows in confusion but sat down anyway, before looking at him expectantly.

"I... shit, I really should have rehearsed what I want to say. I can't find the right words.", Daniel mumbled as the worrying line on Max' forehead only grew deeper.
"Did something happen?" Max tried to help his boyfriend get on with what he wanted to tell him, his concern growing rapidly now that Daniel, the man that normally didn't know how to shut the hell up just for once, seemed to be at a total loss for words.

"No no! Nothing happened, don't worry. That's not it, I just...I have to... Argh!", Dan groaned and buried his face in his hands. "Why is this so fucking hard now?!"
"Babe, what the hell do you want to say? Just spit it out now, for God's sake!" Max had never been a very patient person, to begin with, and his boyfriend's beating around the bush really got on his nerves now.

"Sorry, I'm really not good at this! I just... Max, I've been thinking about this for a long time now and I think- no, actually I know it. I'm 100% sure that my life right now is not the way I want it to be in the future. I just can't shake off the feeling that there's something missing. That I'm not complete and I don't like that, I just can't let it stay this way. So I finally want to change it. I don't want to be your boyfriend anymore, Maxy."

As Daniel spoke those words, Max' face fell and his eyes widened in shock.
"You... what the hell, Daniel? Why?" Max jumped up from the bed and paced around the room now. "After all we've been through you just want to throw it all away because of some weird little feeling? Why have you never talked to me about this? I'm sure we can find out what bothers you so much and then fix it! That's not a reason to break up, Daniel!"

Max finally came to a halt and looked at the Australian again. And what he saw confused him even more. Daniel looked absolutely baffled. Like he had not expected this reaction from Max in the slightest. Had he really thought, Max would simply accept this bullshit of an excuse he wanted to justify the breakup with?

"Max, no. I don't think you understand. I-" he tried to explain but Max was quicker.
"You're right, I don't understand, because what you said just doesn't make any fucking sense. Yesterday you still told me you loved me and now you're saying you've been thinking about breaking up for weeks? Or even months? Have you been lying to me all this time? And then you don't even have a proper reason for it? Just some fucking midlife crisis problem apparently?"

A few tears slowly started to run down Max' face now but he didn't even bother wiping them away. He just stared at Daniel, who had gotten up too and walked towards him now.

"I'm not breaking up with you, Max. Please listen to me and let me finish." Max, who had already opened his mouth again to interrupt, stopped and nodded reluctantly.

"I don't want to break up with you. Never have and never will. I want to ask you to marry me. I don't want to be your boyfriend anymore because I want to be your husband instead, Maxy." Daniel had reached for his back pocket to get out a little black box and dropped on one knee, holding it out to the Dutchman now.

Max's mouth was hanging open, even more tears falling from his eyes now. "What? But...you...what?", was all he could get out.

"Did you really think I was going to break up with you? Max, I love you more than anything else in this world, there is absolutely nothing that could change that. And that's why I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I might not have chosen the best words to tell you all of this, especially at the start, I'll admit that, but I promise I will show you how much I mean all of this for the rest of our lives. So, Max Emilian Verstappen, will you do me the honour and be my husband?"

"You absolute fucking moron, I swear to God if you ever scare me like that again, I will actually kill you!" Max frowned at Daniel for a few seconds before a massive grin appeared on his face.
"Is that a yes?" Daniel asked, not sure how to interpret the other's reaction.
"Yes, you idiot. Of course, I want to marry you." Max laughed and held his left hand out expectantly.
But Daniel had already jumped up from his position on the floor and basically leapt into Max' arms to kiss him senseless. Max definitely didn't want to complain about that and kissed back just as eagerly.

"I love it when a plan comes together!" Daniel grinned as they parted again and Max playfully hit his arm. "You didn't even have a plan, to begin with, you idiot!"
Daniel widened his eyes and clutched at his chest in fake shock. "Maxy, are you too young to get this reference? Oh my God!"
"No, I got it, I just wanted to call you an idiot, because you definitely are.", he shot back.
Daniel's grin got even wider as he whispered "But I'm your idiot. Forever.", before kissing his fiancé again.
"Yes, you are. Now shut the hell up and finally put that ring on my finger."
Daniel gladly complied.

---

Hello friends, I'm still alive!

After many months of writer's block and struggling to finish my two other stories, I finally wrote a oneshot again and I actually enjoyed it. It was very spontaneous and it felt like I was on autopilot, just typing away. I missed this feeling so much and I really hope I can go back to writing regularly now. I'm not sure if I'll keep doing the prompts thing here but I'll give my best to keep more oneshots coming from now on.

Well, if you're still here after an eternity of radio silence from my side: I'm so sorry for the long wait and I hope you enjoyed this!

xx