Lando Norris x Michael Italiano (Part 3)

Michael stared at the screen in the garage and tried not to let his emotions show on his face. At this moment he was thankful for having to wear a face mask.

Lando had been so close to his first-ever win in Formula 1. But then the rain came and let it slip right through his fingers.
Michael was absolutely heartbroken for the young Brit. He could only imagine how the driver himself felt right now.

The Australian took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a second.
He had to do his job now. He had to focus on Daniel. His best friend had managed to finish P4. That was amazing, he had to look at the positive side now.

It wasn't that easy though. Right as he opened his eyes again, they showed Lando on screen, slowly walking away from his car. His head hanging down and the visor of his helmet slightly open so he could wipe his eyes.

Michael's heart clenched. Lando was clearly crying.
He hated nothing more than seeing Lando unhappy. All he wanted, was to see Lando smile.
That beautiful smile, that revealed his little tooth gap and made the skin around his eyes crinkle. It was the most beautiful sight in the world to him.

He didn't know how long he was standing there, just staring at the screen, trying to focus on something other than the horrible sting in his chest.

But at one point, Jon came up to him and put an arm around his shoulder. "I'll take care of Daniel for you. Go follow him."

"What?" was the only thing Michael managed to get out, still too lost in his thoughts.

"Lando. He needs you now. Please go and look after him" Jon said calmly and squeezed his shoulder once again before letting go and heading off.

The Australian stood there stunned for another second before he could really understand the other trainer's words.
Apparently, Lando had told Jon about them. They had been on a few dates since their kiss in Hungary but they were taking it slow. Michael hadn't expected Lando to talk about him to anyone other than Daniel maybe. But Jon seemed to know that they were close, at least.

When his brain had finally processed the information, his legs started to simply take over and almost made him sprint towards the hospitality he had seen Lando enter on screen a few moments ago.

"Oh thank god, you're here." Charlotte greeted him as soon as he reached the door to Lando's room. She looked like she had been crying a little too.

"He doesn't wanna talk to me. I'm so so sorry and I hate my job right now, but he needs to get out for media duties in about 10 minutes." And with that, she squeezed his shoulder just like Jon had done earlier and was gone.

Michael slowly stepped towards the door and knocked. "Lando? It's me, Michael. Can I come in, please?" He waited. No answer from inside.

When he was about to knock again, the horrible feeling in his chest getting worse and worse, he suddenly heard a click and the door opened.

Lando stood there with slumped shoulders and red eyes, looking even smaller and younger than he usually did.
It broke his heart to see the man he loved so dearly in so much pain.

The Brit sniffed and took a step back, so Michael could enter the room. As the personal trainer closed the door behind him, he didn't quite know what to do.
He wanted to comfort Lando. He wanted to hug him and never let go again.

But he wasn't quite sure if Lando could handle this contact right now. He didn't want to overwhelm him and make the situation even worse.

These thoughts, however, dissolved into thin air as soon as he turned around again.
Lando basically threw himself at the older man, slinging his arms around his body and burying his face at his chest in an instant.

The horrible feeling in his stomach was now mixed with a warm fuzzy feeling, spreading slowly.

Michael wrapped his arms around Lando too and carefully guided them towards the little couch in the corner of the room.

Lando only snuggled closer as he sat them down, clawing his fingers into Michael's jacket.

"Hey" the Australian whispered softly after a few minutes of Lando quietly sniffing and sobbing into his chest.

"It's okay. You gave it all and we are all still so proud of you." He kissed the top of Lando's unruly curls.

The Brit loosened his grip a little and looked up at the older. His eyes were puffy and red but Michael couldn't help but notice how beautiful he still was.

"You shouldn't be. I messed up. I was being stupid and stubborn and it cost me the win. I'm a giant failure." Lando croaked, now letting go of Michael completely and looking down at his hands in his lap.

"No, baby. Don't say that. You were amazing out there." Michael gently placed his hands on Lando's cheeks and tilted his head so he would look at him again.

"Your time will come. And it will feel even better then." He smiled slightly.
"Just ask Daniel. I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you everything about his redemption day. And yours will come too. You'll come back even stronger."

Lando looked up at him with big eyes. "You really think so?"

Michael smiled and wiped a tear on Lando's cheek away with his thumb. "I know so. You've got all it takes. Hell, you might even have the biggest balls of them all. I was so scared when I saw you sliding around that track out there. You took a risk and it didn't work out this time but that's what this sport is all about. A huge amount of talent but also an awful lot of luck. You definitely got the first one, so now we just gotta wait a little longer for your luck to show itself. Together, okay?"

Lando chuckled a little at the mention of his balls but quickly got serious again. "Why are you still so nice to me? Are you not mad? I ruined the race for the entire team. I-" Lando started doubting himself again, but Michael quickly shut him up "No, you didn't ruin anything, baby. I'm not mad at you. I'm incredibly proud of you and I love you."

"You...you love me?" Lando's voice cracked a little as he looked up at Michael, who still had his face in his hands, gently gazing down at him and nodding.

And finally, after what felt like hours of tears and heartbreak, Michael finally got to see Lando's beautiful, honest smile again. It was shy and a little crooked, but it was the best thing, he had ever seen. He had missed it so much.

And it was contagious. A big smile now spread across Mike's face as well as Lando murmured "I love you too. More than I ever thought was even possible."

"Can I kiss you?" The Australian asked, still not wanting to overstep any boundaries but Lando didn't even bother to answer. He slung his arms around Michael's neck again and pressed their lips together as if his life depended on it.

Michael smiled into the kiss and pulled the Brit a little closer, glad that he could take his mind off the pain and disappointment for a little.

He knew Lando was heartbroken and it would definitely take more than a little pep talk and a kiss for him to get over it, but it was a good start.

"Now come on, you've got some interviews to do and then we can cuddle again straight after, okay?" 

Lando nodded reluctantly and stole another quick kiss before he sheepishly asked "Can you come with me? For the interviews?"

"Of course baby, I'm right behind you. I always will be."

---

What a crazy race! So sad for Lando :(
I immediately had to write this, to fictionally comfort him at least.

Hope you liked it!

xx