chapter 36 / never let you go

3rd person POV

She was breathtaking. The most beautiful person he had ever seen. Standing there the wind blowing in her hair, (e/c) eyes sparkling mysteriously, reflecting the (f/c) crystal that lay on her forehead. Even her skin seemed to glow, her entrancing voice still ringing in his ears.
She had been the angel to bring him back from the dead. But seeing her now Ace could only believe that she must be a goddess instead.
How had he been so lucky to meet her?
He would never stop asking himself that question.

Not once did his eyes leave her. Every single one of her flowing gestures they took in, never wanting to let go of the fleeting picture but not wanting to miss the next.
His eyes grew wide as he saw air turn into a black mist at her movements. She wove it skillfully until the sea before the Luz had made place for a gigantic portal.
For a second he broke out of the trance wanting to question how this phenomenon was possible. How she inhabited powers one would only believe to come from a devil fruit. However he could not bring himself to disrupt her intense state of concentration.
Even now she held the portal steadfast as the Luz began to smoothly slide through it.

On the other end lay another ocean. Deep blue water, a cloudless sky, the silhouette of a far off island.
Flabbergasted Ace took in the sudden change in scenery.
How was this possible?
Life with you never gets boring does it?
He reminisced, letting his gaze trail back to the figure who would never stop astonishing him. Slowly she let her arms sink as the last part of the Luz passed through the portal, letting the mist shrink gradually until it had completely disappeared.
Her strenuous task completed the elven woman's tensed up face relaxed into a relieved smile. The mysterious crystal's light gave another flicker. Then it too was snuffed out, drifting away with the swaying lady's consciousness.

__________________________________________

Ace's POV

"Y/N!!!"

Relieved I embraced my beloved elf-hybrid's sleepy figure.
Never did I want to witness that again. The body of someone whom I loved so much going limp, collapsing onto the floor.
When Y/N's figure crumbled onto the deck's wooden floorboards, I thought my heart would stop. Just thinking back on it made panicked adrenaline pump through my veins.
It scared me. What would I do if anything ever truly happens to you?
This incident wasn't too serious. But it made Toki's words dawn into a realisation.

'You are right Y/N is strong. But that doesn't mean that she is invincible.'

Y/N wasn't invincible either. She could get hurt. She could die just like any other living being, could be ripped away from me at any second. Life the past few years had been so peaceful I had forgotten how cruel the real world was. Full of life beautiful and enticing. Life that could be snuffed out by the most trivial accident.
Living together with Y/N wasn't natural. It wasn't a matter of course. It was a fleeting paradise that could disappear in the blink of an eye.
I don't want that.
Biting my lip in frustration I stared into Y/N's confused eyes, which were now peering up at me.
I don't care if I die. But nothing can ever happen to her! If I were to loose her I-

"A- Ace?"

Y/N's worried voice snapped me out of my thoughts, her gentle touch pulling me back into reality.
Slowly she reached out to me, wiping away the tears that were running down my cheeks.
Wha- I'm crying? Since when? I-

"Hey, are you alright?"

"Dammit Y/N don't ever do that again."

Surprised eyes looked up at me. (E/c) eyes, eyes which I never wanted to leave my life.

"Dammit, do you have any idea how worried I was? Doing something as ridiculous as teleporting a huge ship and collapsing right after. What would Lou do if her friend and doctor died whilst she is sick?!? What would I do? Sh*t Y/N, what would I do?!? I can't loose you! Please- Please, don't ever do that again. I-"