Chapter 1

Run. 

Run and don't look back. 

  That's all you could do as they chase after you, calling you by your nickname that they gave you: Darlin'. That name would be endearing coming from them if it weren't
for the fact that they kidnapped you, drugged you frequently, and abused you, all in the back of the minivan they kept you in for days, possibly weeks at a time. If only you hadn't had went out that night.

  You ran as soon as you saw an opening when they opened the door to leave the van when they stopped at a gas station in what looked like Memphis, TN. Jumping out of the door, you ran as fast as your bare feet could take you, far away from the van, twisting and turning through the different cars that were at the pumps, pure adrenaline and fear of what could possibly happen to you if you were captured by one of them causing you to keep running, even though your feet screamed for you to stop. You can't stop, not with them hot on your heels. 

  When you think you're finally safe, you stop and check your surroundings. You're in an empty, heavily wooded area, who knows how far away from any main roads. You stop and take a deep breath, assessing yourself. Aside from the tattered rags you can barely call clothes, the dirt caked on your face and body, your matted hair, and the screaming pain in your feet, you were fine, but you couldn't rest now. Not only did you not have any shelter, but you didn't have any clue as to where you were going. You had many miles to trek not only to get out of these woods but to make it to where you could get some help. 

  You couldn't go to the police, they wouldn't give half a rat's ass about your situation, and it would immediately go to the news station, which could expose your whereabouts to them. So for now, you just had to either find yourself a close friend who lived nearby or find a person who was willing to help you. 

But the sun was setting, and with nightfall came the dangers that came with it. 

Word Count: 379 Words