Chapter 9

The voice, unlike my lover's familiar voice, is more concerned and softer.

(Look at me... Getting my hopes up for no reason.)

Suppressing the tears that seem ready to sprout at any moment, I prepare a smile.

It's been years since we've last met, yet his voice has a surprise calming effect.

Kana "Don't tell me..."

??? "Oh, you can tell just by my voice?"

The figure that shows himself, wearing a carefree smile, is my childhood friend, five years my senior, Hiro.

Hirofumi Kasuga, his hand in his pocket, stands in front of me.

Kana "Is that you, Hiro?"

Hiro "Haha! It's been a while, Kana."

Kana "Honestly! I think the last time I saw you was a little before I started working. So, three years ago?"

Hiro "It's been that long, has it? Kana, you're finally an adult woman... Not! Still ways to go!"

Kana "Hey! The same can be said to you, Hiro!"

I wall towards Hiro with a smile on my face, desperately attempting to raise my fallen spirits.

(There's no way it could be Masaya... Why did I turn around in expectation?)

Hiro "I'm as good looking as ever, aren't I?"

Kana "The way you tell that to yourself, is just like you, Hiro."

Hiro "Well, if I don't tell myself, nobody will."

Kana "Hehehe!"

(Something about him seems...different. Of course, that would make sense. It's been awhile since we saw each other. But whatever the change is, it suits him.)

I shake my head, smiling.

Kana "Good ol' Hiro."

Hiro "What's that supposed to mean?"

Kana "I mean seeing you has a calming effect on me."

Hiro "I have mixed feelings about that. I came all this way to see you."

Kana "To see me?"

Hiro "I just came back to my parent's house and my mom told me that you were back in town, Kana."

Kana "Your mother? How did she know?"

Of course she would know. The gossip from the ladies I met at the station, most likely, has spread all throughout town.

(Huh...Right, the issues of living in a small town. I forgot how meddlesome everyone can be.)

Hiro "Kana?"

Kana "Oh, I'm sorry. I just didn't expect to see you, Hiro."

Hiro "I had expected to see you."

Kana "Huh...?"

Hiro "Just kidding! Of course I can't predict something like that."

Kana "Honestly, what's wrong with you!"

(My note: Kana baby, chill, why are you mad...)

Hiro "You haven't changed at all since you were a kid. How you take people's words to heart."

Hiro wears a mischievous expression, similar to the one he wore as kid. He points a finger at my face and begins to laugh heartily. This vibe hasn't changed at all from years before. It sends slight waves of comfort throughout my heart.