four: about the anniversary

┌────── ❀ ──────┐REED CHERIE└────── ❀ ──────┘

┌────── ──────┐
REED CHERIE
└────── ──────┘

ABOUT THE ANNIVERSARY

HE ROLLED over only to stare up at the ceiling and glare, narrowing his eyes to tiny slits. His phone rang beside him, loud and obnoxious, waking him up when the morning sunlight hadn't even started beaming into the room yet. Who could be calling at this fucking hour?

    Reed felt like a grumpy old man with large, noticeable and dark bags under his blue eyes, red and irritated in the sclera of his orbs, like he had rubbed them with the backs of his hands for hours. He laid there, fingers tapping on the soft blanket beside him as he waited for the ringing of his phone to turn off. He could just put it on silent but that would mean he would have to look at the caller ID, so he just didn't do it. He didn't want to know who he needed to strangle.

    When the annoying sounds of his generic ringtone stopped, he closed his eyes and sighed out heavily, his breath shaking as it left his lungs. It was his best efforts to release the tension in his shoulders as he sunk into the cloud-like mattress, finally at peace after a minute.

    But it rang again!

    "For fuck's sake," Reed grumbled, turning over and snatching his phone off charge on the bedside table, staring at the caller ID. He now had a sudden urge to murder his little cousin through the phone as he accepted the call. "What do you fucking want?" Pulling the phone away from his ear, he looked at the time. "Its fucking fifteen minutes past five, Coal!" he said, putting the phone back to his ear.

    "Yeah, yeah, whatever," Coal muttered. "I wanted to make sure you were okay before you start your internship today, is that so wrong of me?"

    Grumbling profanities under his breath, Reed rolled on his back, staring up at the boring ceiling again as he thought of all the ways he could murder him. "Not when you woke me up and it's so early in the morning. Couldn't you have called me at like eight?"

    "No, because I gotta get ready for work," Coal said. "Barista, remember? Gotta start early for those wanting their early morning caffeine fix. I have a very important role in this society."

    Reed scoffed at his little cousin's words. "Sure."

    Coal, aka Hudson Coal II, was Reed's little cousin. They were so close that they considered each other siblings. They've been hanging out together since Reed was like two and Coal was just a baby, who was just as annoying as he is now. Coal is twenty-five, a barista during the day and a bartender during the night — even though the bartender thing made Reed's gut sink with anxiety and concern, knowing Coal has struggled with alcohol addictions in the past year. He just hoped Coal is still holding his sober streak.