[00.] INTRODUCTION

⠀༆

Steam rose from the burgundy-colored mug, its tendrils swirling together in an intimate dance, the warm aroma filling the kitchen. The mug clinked against the table once it was set down in front of the older man. The skin around his eyes crinkled with a smile coming to his lips as he bowed his head in a silent thank you. He raised the ceramic mug to his lips, taking a cautious sip so he didn't burn his tongue as the curls of foaming cream stuck to his top lip.

"You always make the best coffee," he hummed gratefully, glancing over to his daughter as she poured herself a cup of the warm beverage.

His words of praise made the young girl by the counter scoff in an amused fashion, "are you talking to me or the machine?" she inquired, leaning against the marble counter as she looked towards her father.

"The machine, of course.. it is the one doing all the work," he replied in a nonchalant tone, raising the mug to his lips to hide the smile spreading across his face. He had missed the mornings with his daughter where they would enjoy an amazing breakfast. Most of the time it had been pancakes with fruit, occasionally with a tall mountain of whipped cream on the top of the cake stack. Now, his daughter was a young adult, living in her own apartment away from home.

He looked towards her as he set his mug back down against the table, "how are your studies coming along, Amelia?" he questioned with a soft smile, leaning against the back of the chair to get comfortable.

"They are going well, sometimes can be rather boring.. but the moments I get access to the observatory is the best," she replied, looking down into the coffee mug that she held. She glanced back up to the man and squinted her eyes slightly, "but I know you're not here to ask me about my studies.. you have something you want to say or ask.. you wouldn't be here right now.."

"Well what if I just wanted to visit my daughter?" he complained with pursed lips.

Amelia rolled her eyes with a small scoff falling from her lips, "Dr. Selvig would be working on his top secret SHIELD project if there wasn't something that he wanted to speak about.."

A sigh escaped Erik's lips as he lowered his head in defeat before he looked to her, "I want to ask you to join me in my research.. on the SHIELD project.. Director Fury has given me permission to ask for someone on the outside to join me and I figured you were the best one.. Jane and Darcy are busy with their own things and you're the only other person who was with us in New Mexico when Thor arrived," he began to explain to her before he reached down, picking up his bag from the tiled kitchen floor. He unzipped it and pulled out a manila folder, placing it on the table for her to look over.

She stepped closer to the table, pulling one of the other chairs to the side before sitting down and opening the folder. On the first page was a photograph of a azure colored cube, it reminded her of those plastic cubes that her mathematics teacher used to explain the three dimensional shapes. However, this cube looked like it was glowing.

"What is this thing?" she asked, looking to her father curiously.

"An item of myth and legend.. but its real.. It was used by many ancient civilizations for power before it came into the hands of the Asgardians, it was kept within Odin's vault for some time, according to the Norse Mythology stories I have read.. However, it was eventually brought to earth and stored away in Tensberg, a small village in Norway," he began to explain, pausing for a moment to remove other pictures and documents from the file for her to examine.

"In 1942, it was found by a man named Johann Schmidt-" he began again but she stopped him before he could continue.

"I learned about him in history class when I was in high school, he was the leader of HYDRA and went against Captain America. However, we were never told about this aspect of the history," she said, glancing down to the documents and taking a moment to quickly read through them.

Amelia paused from her reading and looked towards her father, "what is SHIELD doing with the tesseract? I mean what are you doing with it in the project?"

"Well, I am mostly trying to study it but I figured I could use some more assistance to make my observations with it. Who is better to ask than my daughter who is studying astronomy.. this thing came from space," Erik said, tapping the picture of the blue cube with his index finger with an excited smile coming to his face. A soft sigh dripped from his lips and he went back to leaning against the chair, "I want to work on this with you at my side, Ami.. I want this to be our first big project together.. It is almost summer break and once that arrives, I want you to come to Nevada with me to observe and study the tesseract."

She was quiet for a moment, not necessarily knowing what to say to her father. She didn't want to deny the offer of getting a chance to work on something for someone as big and secretive as SHIELD. It would be like working at Area Fifty-one, something that has always intrigued her.

"Imagine everything we can discover.. maybe this thing can be used to do some good in this world, help people for the better and you would be part of it," he said, attempting to intice his daughter into accepting the offer, that he could tell was tempting her. She always had a look on her face whenever she was deep in thought, weighing her options on the subject.

Amelia glanced to him and pursed her lips, "second trimester ends soon.. I wish you would've waited to tell me about this. I still have finals and now I won't be able to concentrate because I will be way too excited about this," she said with a small laugh, nodding to the files in front of her with a smile.

"So you're coming?" He asked, his head perking up as his smile only grew.

"Yes, I am coming.. did you really think that I would turn down something like this? This is incredible and getting a chance to physically see something like this is amazing. I know I got to see Thor and what not but this is so much more interesting than that blonde god," she said, muttering the last parts as she picked up the documents again, finding herself glancing over the information again and again with even more fascination than the first time that she looked it over.

She almost wanted to begin to pack up her things for the summer already, regardless of the month she still had that remained of school. She could not help but feel that sense of eagerness that she had as a child when she got to go on small projects with her father.

Amelia had a feeling this would be the best project yet.

⠀⠀⠀/⠀/ ⠀༆⠀ཾ༵⠀ུ

Hi lovelies!!

Hey look a new fanfiction !! I've been wanting to do a new Loki story and sort of revamp the old Mischief and Mayhem book basically. I don't like how that story turned out so I'm doing a completely new story that is somewhat similar but not really?

I know that is sort of confusing, I'm bad with explaining things.

Anyway, yay a new story to add on to the list of the other new ones I've already started and have a hard time keeping up with. I know I'm horrible at this. I do plan to write more chapters in advance and create an upload/publishing schedule to feel organized for once. You can expect more stories once I get more organized cause I have plenty of stories planned.

Perhaps I'll tease my drafts so you guys can see all the stories that I'm cooking up. However, I got about four original stories coming at you soon so I'm rather excited about those and have been working very very hard on them :)

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this introduction to SUNSHINE !! more chapters coming soon, I promise.

- ken