[02.] GLORIOUS PURPOSE

⠀༆

The sapphire-colored cube boomed with thunder, the sound loud enough to shake the facility, causing panic in the current occupants as they moved faster in a desperate attempt to evacuate. The flaring rings and the glow of the tesseract began to spout out brighter and louder as if it was a pot of boiling water. Amelia covered her ears at the sound the bounced off the walls of the vacuum chamber, almost thinking that her ears would begin to bleed. She began to wish that she would have listened to her father's worried offer of letting her leave. Maybe she should have left and returned home for the night. 

However, she was still there, frozen in fear as she watched the cube's energy build up before shooting out a strong beam of light that hit the platform ahead. Tendrils of blue light expanded as the maelstrom of the tesseract's energy continued to grow, forming into what she could describe as a vortex. Inside the black vortex, it looked as if she was staring into the inky darkness that was space. It was beautiful to her, yet held a mysterious feeling within her, making her stomach churn with unease. She could even see small sprinkles of stars, strewn across the blackness. It was mesmeric in an odd way. 

A gust of blue smoke spread through the room, blinding everyone for a brief moment. Amelia closed her eyes, shielding her face from a potential explosion that she thought would occur. She stayed silent as if waiting for death to wrap its cold hands around her heart. It had been what she expected. Yet, there was a sound of faint heavy breathing. She could hear it from the platform ahead of her, where the vortex had been created by the tesseracts' vigorous power. 

She lowered her hands from her face, opening her eyes to see what was now standing in place of where the door to space had opened. She studied the man that knelt on the floor, his long black hair looked to be thick with grease. Beads of sweat rolled down from his temples as his chest rose and fell with each tiring inhale. His head began to raise and the first thing she took notice of was the mischievous smile that was sprawled across his cracked, chapped lips. Yet, his smile faded fast when he made eye contact with her and the others standing with her. 

The stare made her feel scared and uneasy, making her want to curl up in a ball and hide somewhere. She took a step or two back as her heart pounded in her chest, she could almost hear each thump, loud and blaring in her ears. In the corner of her eyes, she could see the SHIELD agents beginning to slowly make their way towards the unknown man, their weapons raised and ready in case they were needed to take care of the treacherous situation. They didn't know if this man was a threat to them. They didn't know if he held any ill intentions towards them. 

When his eyes fell on her, she felt herself freeze in place. Yet, there was something about his gaze towards her. It was different compared to how he looked at Clint or Fury. It was with curiosity. She wanted to know why his look had shifted from malicious to inquisitive. Her eyes never left his as he moved to a standing position, staying up on the platform as he seemed to study his surroundings. 

"Sir, please put down the spear," Fury had called out, bringing her attention to the golden-colored weapon that the man gripped in his hand. It was long with a sharp, pointed tip. 

The man stood there, glancing down to his spear before suddenly pointing it towards the director. Unexpectedly, the scepter shot out a cerulean explosion of light. The sudden action causing panic to break loose. Amelia scrambled to hide beneath one of the desks, bringing her knees to her chest as she pressed her back into the back of the desk. The sounds of gunfire rang through the large room, making her cover her ears and close her eyes. 

This had not been in the job description. 

The room became silent, allowing her to peek her head out from beneath the desk, making eye contact with Clint, who was on the ground across from her. Amelia began to move out from her hiding place, wanting to get to him for a sense of safety. She watched her friend attempt to stand up to his feet and draw out his gun. The strange man swiftly rushed over, grabbing Barton's hand to keep him from firing his weapon.