Chapter 20 {Christmas}

2 Weeks Later

It's Christmas Eve, and boy are things crazy. Charlotte was put on bed rest, her parents also retired and left there store to Krew and Charlotte so now they were running it. Riley was almost done with the bar, and Reese, Cody, Lilah, and I were making Christmas cookies for the Christmas party tonight. I just checked the cookies and poured myself a glass of wine. There was Christmas music playing and Reese was dancing around her kitchen with Lilah. I sat down in the chair at the island. I heard the doorbell ring, so I got up off the stool. "I'll get it." Reese nodded. I walked through her living room and into the hallway to get the door.

When I opened it there was two older people standing on the other side with duffel bags. I didn't recognize either of them. "Can I help you?" "Yeah, you can help me understand why your in my son and daughters house." The man said in a not to kind voice. "Who are your son and daughter?" "Reese and Riley Bennett." "Umm, yeah give me a sec." I left them in the doorway and walked to the kitchen to get Reese. "Who was at the door?" "Your parents." Her smile dropped, and still holding Lilah she walked out to the door. "My baby, look at you! You've gotten so big!" Mrs. Bennett pulled Reese into a hug. "That's what happens when you abandon your kids, they grow up." "Oh don't be silly, we didn't abandon you. We just went on a really long vacation." Reese set Lilah down on the ground and looked at her parents. "Really? How old are you now?" She asked. "I'm 38. Why don't you know how old your mother is? That's a bit rude don't you think?" "Really? How old am I? How old is Riley?" "That's aside the point. Is that your kid?" Her dad asked. I watched as Reese's dad talked, not letting her mom get a word in. "No. She's Brooke's." "Brooke's still here? She said she wanted to leave Colorado?" "She didn't have much of a choice when she was left to raise us." Reese said going back into the house, leaving her parents on the front porch.

Hours Later

The party at Reese and Riley's house was in full swing and most people were here. Blake and Brooke on the other hand were not, and Reese and I were waiting outside for her so that we could warn her before she went inside. "So are you happy your parents are back?" "In a way yes, because then I know their alive. But it just makes me hate them even more when they just randomly show up." "When was the last time they randomly showed up?" "When I was 10, and Riley was 13. Riley didn't play into their tricks, but I did. They stayed for a week, and then in the middle of the night they picked up and left. No note, no phone call, nothing." Reese said pulling a cigarette out of her pocket. "I thought you quit smoking?" "I smoke when life gets tough. It helps the stress." "You better not be smoking Reese Bennett." I looked up and Brooke and Blake were getting out of Blakes truck."Why are you smoking?" Brooke walked up to us and pulled the cigarette out of her mouth. "Mom and dad are back." Brooke's whole expression changed in a matter of seconds. "Babe don't do anything stupid, your pregnant." Blake remined her. "I'm gonna go give my brother and his asshole wife a piece of my mind." She handed the gifts to me and Reese and walked in the house, Blake not far behind her. Reese gave me a look and we quickly got up to follow her.

She weaved through people looking for her brother and sister in law. Lilah came running into the living room once she realized her parents were here. "Mommy! Daddy!" Blake picked her up. "I'm still finding them." Brooke stated leaving us with Blake. "You don't think she's actually gonna do something to my mom and dad, do you?" "If you know your aunt, you know she won't leave here without saying something." I pulled my phone out when I got a notification. "I'll be right back, Riley just texted me saying he needs help with something." Riley went last minute Christmas shopping so now he was running late. I walked through the cluster of people to get outside.

I walked through the snow over to his truck. "Hey." He greeted me with a kiss, then opened his backseat. "Here grab some, no peaking though." He placed some in my arms. "Ri, there's something you should know before you go inside." "What?" "Your parents are here." "Who the fuck let them in!" He pushed past me and inside the house, so of course I followed him. I set the presents on the nearest table, continuing to follow Riley. It didn't take him long to find his dad, and when he did lets just say shit hit the fan. I watched the scene unfold as Riley punched his dad in the face. "Riley!" I tried pulling him away from him, but I wasn't strong enough. "Shit, shit, shit." I cursed under my breath, looking for Blake. I found him and Brooke in the living room with Lilah. "Blake, I need your help now. Riley and his dad are fighting. Like fist fighting." I lead Blake into the kitchen where he was able to pull Riley away from his dad. When he stepped back he spit blood into the sink. I stood in front of him taking in the sight. His mouth and nose were bloody and he now had a black and blue eye. I stood in front of him to prevent him from going back at his dad. "Hey, he's not worth going to jail." Riley nodded. "Fuck you dad." Was the last thing he said before walking upstairs. I took one glance at his mom holding ice to her husbands eye before going upstairs after Riley.

I opened his bedroom door and could see the light shining from his bathroom. I walked over and he was cleaning the cuts on his hand. "Let me help." I grabbed the wash cloth out of his hand and kneeled in front of where he was sitting on the toilet. "Are you okay?" He nodded. "I'm sorry they ruined your Christmas." "They ruin everything, I'm used to it." I stood up and turned his shower on. "What are you doing?" "Let me help you calm down." "What about everyone downstairs?" "I don't care about anyone downstairs. I only care about you." I reached for the buckle on his jeans. "Nobody will even notice we're gone"

1 Hour Later

I got out of the shower and got changed into a pair of shorts and one of Riley's sweatshirts. I took a towel and rubbed it through my hair really quick and went downstairs. By now everyone had gone home, or at least I thought they were. It took me by surprise when Riley's dad was sitting at the island with ice still on his eye. He looked up when he heard footsteps. "Don't worry we're leaving. Rose is packing up our stuff from the guest room now. "I didn't ask." I said grabbing two waters out of the refrigerator. "Who are you anyway?" Riley's mom asked walking out with her luggage. "You would know who I am, if you stuck around." Riley's mom looked sad at that comment but his dad immediately responded "This is none of your business. "Except it is, because I love your son, and your daughter she's my best friend. But you wouldn't know that. They're great people, and you missed out on raising great kids." "We were young! And by the way you act I'm sure your parents weren't around either." His dad retaliated. "That's where your wrong. My parents are both dead. But when they were alive they were the best parents I could've asked for. I think it's time to go before I call Riley down here." "Whatever. Lets go Rose." She followed him outside. I made sure they were gone and went to go back upstairs but before I could I heard footsteps again. When I turned around Riley's mom was standing their. "Tell my kids I'm sorry, and that I never wanted to leave. Make sure they know that." She walked out before I could say another word, leaving me in confusion all night.