ten (10)

i groaned as my god-awful alarm went off next to me. it was 6:15 a.m. ugh. i guess i should be grateful that it wasn't 5:30 like it was when i had to get up for rowing practice. after the incident, august was very lenient with me and wille when we didn't show up. i mean, i didn't even show up to school for almost a week. eventually we just stopped going all together, and then we weren't counted on anymore. and he definitely wasn't counting on me to come especially after last night.

i was embarrassed with myself over what happened. i went in with confidence, and i was obviously nervous, but i fully believed i would pull it off. and then he threw me off when he revealed just what a disgusting human being he is. and now i would have to talk about it all again. i scoffed. sara wanted to meet at 6:25. that meant i had ten minutes to get ready. i threw my blankets off and got out of bed.

-----------------------

when i had my teeth brushed, clean clothes on, and i smelled okay enough for a 16 year old boy, i walked over to the door. i no longer cared enough to make an enormous effort, because based on what i could see, nothing was going to happen between me and wilhelm in the near future. and that was something i would just have to accept and be okay with. i shut my eyes tight. i could not let him evade my thoughts again. my focus needed to be sara. telling sara about august. breaking her heart because her boyfriend(?) is a douche. whatever. it's better to tell her sooner than later.

last night we decided that we would meet in the courtyard, which was good because that was one of the only places here i didn't have a rather personal attachment to. i walked along the hallways until i reached the door that led to outside. as i pushed the heavy metal, my cheeks and hands were met with the cold breeze of mid-january. cold was definitely my least favorite weather. i pulled my hands into the sleeves of my sweater and then stuffed them into my pockets.

quite a bit of the snow that was on the ground yesterday melted, so now the ground was icy in some places. as i walked along the stone pathways, i was surprised i was graceful enough to stay on my feet and not fall on my ass. when i started to approach the yard, i saw the figure of sara. i hope i didn't keep her waiting too long. were both usually early to things, but right now it was 6:31. oops.

a soon as she turned around and saw me she waved. it really didn't help that she was smiling. i walked up to her, and as soon i was within hearing distance i started talking.

"hey," i said, in a way i hoped was unreadable.

"hi," she replied, "good morning."

i smiled. we took in each other's presence for a couple seconds. then she spoke up.

"so what was it you wanted to talk about, simme?" she asked, cocking her head to demonstrate her confusion.

"yeah, about that," i took a deep breath and walked over to the stone ledge, "you might want to take a seat for this one."

she obeyed and came to sit a few inches away from me. her eyes carried an emotion i wasn't sure i could name.

"did something happen with micke?"

it didn't even cross my mind that that would be something she was thinking.

"oh, no, no. i haven't talked to him in weeks."

she sighed in relief. but then the confusion was back on her face.

"then what's up?"

i took another deep breath. i wish i came up with a script for this one.

"well first," i started, "let's get something out of the way. i know you're hooking up- or doing whatever your doing- with august. and i wasn't really upset, but why didn't you tell me? no secrets, remember?"

i didn't realize how offended i was she didn't tell me until i said it. she sighed.

she uttered, "i'm sorry. he made me promise not to tell anyone."

even more hatred towards him built up inside of me. but i couldn't be blinded by that right now. i reached my arm around her.

"it's okay, just no more from now on. that's why i need to tell you this."

she looked at me expectantly.

i breathed deeply again and then started, "august... he- he isn't who you think he is. i only found out yesterday, but he's the one... the one who released the video."

the sour taste was back in my mouth. when i looked to sara her face was turned away. i leaned forward slightly to try and see her face.

"sara?"

she turned to me and her eyes were wet. sometimes it was difficult for me to understand how she was feeling, but i had no trouble this time. it was as if someone had written "guilty" in bold letters on her forehead. my mouth hung open, just as it had so many times in the last 24 hours. i couldn't speak.

"i'm sorry, simon," she said, and reached out to grab my hand.

i pulled away as fast as i could. i knew that if i said anything i wouldn't be able to hold back the lump that was growing in my throat. but i couldn't just sit there.

"you?" i choked out.

i didn't have to say the whole thing for her to know what i meant. she opened her mouth like she was going to say something. after a few moments of struggling to make the words come out, she closed it.

why did i keep letting this happen? i kept trusting the wrong people, giving them chances, and now this was how i was treated. i wanted to leave. i couldn't stand to be in her presence right now. but i've been doing too much of the storming out and leaving lately. i needed to face my feelings. i felt a tear drip down the left side of my face. fuck.

"i can't believe you," i said with a dark look in my eye, "i can't fucking believe you."

and though the words i said were laced with pure enmity, the tears on my face were filled with betrayal.

i stood up beside her and couldn't decide whether i should pick up my stuff and leave or hear her out. she was my sister, after all. i needed her to talk, to say something.

"are you gonna say something?" i asked impatiently.

tears were still streaming down her face, but i couldn't help but wonder what she thought this would result in. how did she think her brother would react to finding out that his sister was sleeping with the person who almost ruined his entire life? or did she think i wasn't going to find out? my question was answered when she finally chimed in.

"you weren't-" she choked out, "you weren't ever supposed to find out. it was supposed to be secret. we were-"

"does felice know?"

"no."

and though it was horrible of me to think like that, i was glad i wasn't the only person close to her that wasn't being lied to. and i knew, with how much she helped, felice would be nearly as upset with sara as i am.

"make sure you tell her before she finds out herself if you don't want to experience this again," i warned her.

she nodded her head. then, once again, the bell rang. god i fucking hate that bell. always the wrong place wrong time. i groaned and rolled my eyes. sara stood up and wiped her eyes with her sleeves.

"see you in class."

no.

no.

no.

there was no way that was gonna happen. i was not going to just sit there after she betrayed me like that. i pulled my phone out and clicked the icon listed as "wilhelm :)".

holy shit i'm almost at 2k reads!!! that is insane and i love you all so much. please remember to vote, comment, do all the things, and once again, ily <3