Ch. 14

‼️‼️‼️TRIGGER WARNING‼️‼️‼️ This chapter dives into domestic violence. Please read at your own discretion. I've placed the exclamation points where it starts.

<<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>> <<<>>>

On my way to tell my mom, I stopped by the drug store to find a card and see if they'd let me make copies of the ultrasound. Today was my lucky day because it all worked out. After I had copies of the images, I looked for cards. I lucked up and found a card that announced being a grandma and being a dad. That's how I would let mom and Clay know.

After I checked out, I put the copies in the card for mom and the originals in the card for Clay. Immediately sealed the envelope for mom and tucked Clays card into my purse. Afterward I went straight to my moms house. I didn't call or anything so I prayed that she wasn't at work today. I felt a sigh of relief when I saw her sitting outside on the porch swing.

"Claire," she smiled when I got out of the car.

"Hey mom," I walked up to her, leaning over to give her a hug.

"To what do I owe this unexpected visit?" she asked and I handed her the sealed envelope. She looked at me strangely.

"Just open it," I smiled as she ripped it open.

The front of it said 'Surprise' in bold, black lettering. She looked at me just before opening up the card. On the inside it simply said 'Grandma'. The ultrasound images fell on her lap and she picked them up and looked at them. She put her hand over her mouth as she looked at me.

"Cl..." she choked up. "Claire, you're..."

"Yes," I smiled. "I'm pregnant."

"Oh, Claire," she cried, pulling me into a hug. "Oh my goodness. I'm going to be a grandma. How long have you known?"

"A few weeks. They saw something in my blood work when I was in the accident."

"I bet Clay is beside himself."

"Clay doesn't actually know... yet," I said, hanging my head down.

"Claire," she sighed. "He has to know."

"I know and I'm going to tell him. I just wanted to make sure that everything was okay because I'd had X-rays and I didn't want to get hopes up if the radiation did something to the babies."

"Wait. What? Babies? As in plural?" mom asked.

"Mom, look at the ultrasound. There's baby 'A'," I pointed. "And there's baby 'B'."

"Double the grandma game at once," she laughed.

"I'm right around 11 weeks. I go back next month and they said I might be able to find out the genders. If they cooperate."

"I can't believe this," she said, grabbing ahold of my face. "I'm so happy for you all."

"Me too," I smiled.

I sat with my mom for a couple of hours before I decided to go home. Clay has texted me and told me that he would be home late tonight. He was going to go shoot some pool with Brent and a couple of other guys from work. He told me that I didn't have to worry about leaving anything out for him to eat and that I didn't have to wait up.

He didn't say much after that and that really soured my high that I've felt all day. I wanted to tell him that we're having babies and he's rather be out until who knows when. Since he told me that I didn't have to wait up, I wasn't planning on it.