1.4: THE PATH OF THE GODS

I'm so ready for the next few chapters... I think...

In the next few chapters (don't know which), you're gonna be introduced to another beloved OC I have created. Said future chapter will also set up some things that will need to be set up for me to be able to write that AU, so I don't spoil anything.    

     DESPITE WHAT REYNA HAD INSISTED, as soon as Rip had been released, he stalked his way determinedly towards the augury.

He knew, of course, he should have rested, or taken a moment to collect his thoughts after such a trying day, as Reyna had declared, but that would have to come later.

Besides, he thought, as he watched a group of small children fight with miniature wooden swords, calling out names of famous Roman heroes rather than those of their friends. Distracting myself only works when I'm not invested in something.

Having retrieved his other dice, whilst still being flabbergasted on how exactly they changed into something living, he was far more comfortable walking amongst the regular people, who seemed to have moved on from the hectic chaos of the day's events.

A few people waved at him as he went, and some of the younger children were staring at him in awe. Quiet whispers left them, and some looked ready to come up and ask him to sign their toy swords - which was adorable, but not what he needed right now.

As his eyes drifted to the top of Temple Hill, a annoyed intake of breath built in his throat. Dramatic dark clouds billowed around the top, as if Jupiter himself was pissed off about that specific square of earth. Scarlet-red lightning flashed through those horrible clouds, and a few people around him were staring and pointing.

Great, Rip groaned. Tavi's pissed.

     After a moment of short prayer at his mother's temple, Fors Furtuna, and annoying silence in response, he continued the climb to the temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus. He didn't know how far behind Hazel and Percy he was, and was quite worried he would be too late, so he picked up the pace.

In case they had stopped at the temple of Neptune, Rip glanced inside, to find it as empty and depressing as it had always been, cobwebs taking up a good portion of the space within the small room, and a thick layer of dust covering every inch of floor and the altar an even dirtier bowl sat on.

If he had a say in how they treated their temples, and he knew he really didn't, he would have asked why the Legion thought leaving Neptune's temple to fall into disrepair was going to make the terrifying god any happier than he was back in 1906?

Thunder rolled loudly behind him as he stared down the dark and dingy room. He should have left right then and there, but there was something tugging at his stomach, not in an uncomfortable way, but in a way that he should do, or even say something.

He dug deep in his pocket, hoping for something to leave in the bowl. He pulled out a crumpled piece of blank paper, and a single denarius buried deep in his back pocket. All he could hope for was that it was enough to please the Earthshaker.

He twirled the silver coin in between his fingers, staring at nothing in particular, as there was no statue, and blank walls all around him. "Lord Neptune," his voice came out in a quiet whisper, as if he was terrified someone would hear him within the temple outside of the god. He flicked the coin into the bowl. "Know I will do everything I can to ensure your son is safe for as long as I can. Whatever connection he and I have, if any, may not make sense to me, and may never will, but I am willing to learn."

He expected no response, as he always got when he prayed to a God. And for a moment there was. He just stared into the bowl for a moment, and made a move to turn and leave.

But suddenly, he felt a churning in his stomach, as if the ocean itself had found it's way in there, and a storm was brewing somewhere within. Though, again, this was not a bad feeling, the stormy sea felt like an old friend.

And then, as soon as it came, it was gone. He didn't even notice he was holding his breath, and let it go. Turning his gaze back to the empty room, he gave a sharp nod to nothing in particular, and left, knowing at least someone was listening to him.

Fun fact about the name of Furtuna's temple, which translates to 'lucky chance', I named it after what is believed to be one of her oldest temples, which was on the right bank of the Tiber below Rome.

Epithets I learned for her while researching this:

Fortuna Primigenia: Determines the fate of a child at birth

Fortuna Publica/Populi Romani: Goddess of the state

•Fortuna Coesaris/Fortuna Augusta: The protectress of the emporer

•Fortuna Privita: The protectress of family life

•Fortuna Patricia/Plebia/Equestrius: Of the different orders, classes, and families

•Fortuna Liberium/Virginalis/Muliebris: Of children, of maidens, of women

•Fortuna Virilis: Goddess of women's happiness in marriage, of boys and youths (who dedicated their first trim of their beards to her, which is really interesting)

Fortuna Victrix: Giver of victory

•Fortuna Dux/Comes: The leader, the attendant

Fortuna Redux: Who brings safe home

•Fortuna Tranquilla: The giver of prosperous voyages

•Fortuna Buna/Mala: Good and evil

•Fortuna Blanda: Flattering

•Fortuna Obsequens: Yielding

Fortuna Dubia: Doubtful

•Fortuna Viscata: Enticing

•Fortuna Brevis: Fickle

Fortuna Manens: Constant

I was contemplating Neptune giving Rip something, but decided that was a little too much for right now. Rip just needed to know some god actually cared enough to answer, and that was what he got.

I didn't intend this to be another solitary chapter, but that's just how it goes sometimes. The next chapter will called 'The Destroyer of All Things Cute and Cuddly', which was supposed to be this chapter, but I got sidetracked.

Now here's an incorrect quote for your troubles!

Agrippa: I'm a bad person, I'm a very bad person, I'm a horrible person.
The Squad/Rest of the of the Prophecy Squad™:
Agrippa: No, you're not, Agrippa! We still love you, Agrippa!