3: the Stowaway

Mara trembled as she waited for the men who heard her to come. All she could pray for was that they wouldn't blame her for her transgressions and being on the ship without permission.

When the scraping of barrels she suddenly felt a questioning over whether screaming was the right choice. Maybe she should have taken her chances on the land and escaped from Ciaran's clutches. Whatever the correct option was, it was too late as the barrels had been pulled back large enough for a man to fit through.

"Hey sweetheart," the first voice from before called out, his tone gentle and soft, "I'm coming in, there's no need to be scared."

Even though his words were meant to be soothing, it didn't stop the terror from running down her back.

A huge man squashed himself through the gap between the barrels and the ship. Immediately, Mara's eyes widened in fear as she took in his uniform. This man, the man that had heard her was none other than the Captain of the ship.

Mara's heart left her throat and she pushed her body back into the corner. The man sighed heavily and crouched down in front of her.

"I'm going to cut you free now ok? So I'm going to get a knife out now, ok?"

Mara nodded unsurely and lifted her face up slightly to look over at the man kneeling in the dim light. He was older than Mara by a good few decades, easily in his fifties. The lines of his face showed weathering from many years at sea, the hand that held the knife was tough and calloused as well, it showed years of hard work and it strangely made Mara feel safer.

The Captain knelt down by her ankle and began to cut away at the thick binds of rope. The sound of a snapped rope filled the small space and Mara let out a sound of relief as she slumped over weakly. Only after she moved slightly could the Captain see the winds of rope around her middle and it made him curse again. Before he tackled the even thicker rope around her torso, he slowly lent over and untied the gag from her face.

He couldn't imagine any man doing this to a woman and it made his heart ache.

"Can you lift your arms up for me?" The Captain murmured gently to Mara. She nodded quickly, and began to lift her arms until the arm that had been bound screamed in protest and she weakly let it fall.

"I can't." She whispered, utterly defeated as her arm hung limp by her side. She suspected her shoulder had slipped out of its socket but she wouldn't tell anyone just yet, not until she knew she was safe.

"That's ok, can I lift your arms a little bit please." The Captain looked up at Mara with eyes saddened with disappointment and sorrow. It was an emotion she hadn't seen in a long time.

Mara didn't reply, she just nodded and then closed her eyes to hide the pain as the Captain gently lifted her arms into the air enough to cut away at the rope around the middle without risking hitting her skin.

The rope fell away and an exhale left Mara as her lungs were no longer constricted.

"That feel better huh?" The Captain asked softly and once again Mara just nodded.

"Bas!" He called out, turning his face and voice back to the gap between the barrels.

"What?" Called back the voice of Bas.