14: By the Sickbed

Bastian and Bayen passed restless, stressful days as they watched Mara in her sickness.

For only a few minutes of a day was she conscious enough for them to tip water down her throat.

Bastian was drained with the tension and fear of losing Mara before he had a chance to scold her for sneaking out, before he had a chance to tell her he was sorry he didn't get there soon.

"Bayen," Mara moaned out groggily. For the past few days Mara's colour had returned to her cheeks and her sleep had been less fitful.

Unfortunately, even though Mara was calling out for Bayen, the man who had saved her, it was Bastian on the night watch.

He jumped up in surprise, bending down close to her face so he could speak softly.

"I'm here Mara, Bas is here..."

"Hmmm," she hummed tiredly as her hazel eyes flickered open. Bas bursted into a smile for the first time in weeks, for the first time since long before Mara.

"Hello," he murmured softly, smoothing her hair from her eyes, "you've been gone a while there Mara."

"What!" Her eyes bulged out of her head in surprise and she jolted upright until the sudden, swift movement caused sparks of pain behind her eyes.

She flopped backwards with a grimace but Bas caught her to lay her back Elmore gently.

"You've been ill, with a fever." Bas explained as he plumped a pillow and pulled the blanket further up under her chin as her lip was shivering.

"Oh..."

"What, what do you remember, Mara?" He asked, wondering if by some small mercy, Mara would have forgotten the festival and the wandering hands.

She thought for a moment and Bas watched as the realisation and remembrance crossed her eyes.

"Oh," she gasped flushed with embarrassment and shame, "oh Bas! Oh Bas you must let me apologise to Bayen, I betrayed him! I was-I was so foolish."

She began to weep quietly, Mara was full of fire and wilfulness but when she knew she had made a mistake, she knew she had made it.

"Mara, Mara," Bas soothed, to Mara he had suddenly become a different man, "you don't need to apologise to Bayen, he doesn't know you disobeyed his orders."

"But...but..." Mara's forehead furrowed in confusion, "who saved me?"

Bas smiled softly at her, stroking her exposed hand with an index finger gently.

"I did, you're a nightly stubborn woman, Mara."

He smirked along with Mara, she blushed, she had always been known as stubborn before she fell into Ciaran's grasp, she was pleased to know it hadn't disappeared.

"Thank you," Mara smiled at the laidback sight of Bas, he had long since abandoned his coat, favouring the warmth of the fire. His shirt was open and his chest glowed in the dancing light.

"You're welcome my stubborn little stowaway. Now, it's late, you should get some rest."

"Okay," Mara nodded, relieved to be feeling so much better, and began to roll over under the covers until the lack of movement caught her eye.

Bas was still sitting in the same spot as he had been moments before, their eyes met. Mara's were filled with confused expectation, Bas' with kind amusement.

"I'll stay here for the night, in case you need anything, Bayen will come and see you in the morning."

"I really don't need you to watch me."