Back In Genova

Luca was smiling from ear to ear as the car came to a stop, he was so eager to be back. He'd been waiting all summer to learn all the things he had yet to learn in school. His first year had been absolutely amazing, he had so much to tell Alberto when he got back to Portorosso, and he could barely wait to do it again.

"Alright kids, we're home!" Giulia's mom fetched her keys and stepped out of the vehicle. "I'll be waiting for the two of you inside."

As he was about to leave the car, Luca was thrusted back by something strapped across his chest, he was glued to his seat in an instant. Oh right, safety belts. He had completely forgotten he had them on, it had been quite awhile since the last time he'd been in a car. He struggled to free himself from the seat.

"Still struggling with seat belts?" Giulia huffed as she leaned her elbow on the open car door. She had been watching Luca struggle for the past 2 minutes, but it seemed as though he wouldn't be getting anywhere anytime soon. "Here, let me help you!"

Luca did not protest, he sat still as Giulia assisted him with his seat belt. He watched as she unbuckled the contraption with a click and that was it, the belt retreated. Now remembering just how easy this whole thing was, the boy couldn't help but feel a little embarrassed. He sheepishly thanked Giulia and hopped out of the car, stretching his legs.

The two headed to the trunk, hastily gathered their luggage and raced inside. Once indoors, Luca was greeted by a black and white dog, it pranced around and balanced on its hindlegs, hyper little thing. "Nerone! Did you miss me? I'll be with you in a moment, I gotta put this up in my room, you should come along," Nerone barked in response, probably a yes.

Luca carried his belongings upstairs as little Nerone followed him. When they finally reached the top, Nerone made a dash for an open door in the hallway, it was Giulia's door so she must be unpacking in her room already. He made a right turn and pushed through the door to his own room. Inside was a small rectangular room with navy blue walls, a yellow bed, some built-in shelves, a chair and a desk with side drawers in front of a window. It's just how he left it, tidy and cozy.

He set his luggage on the bed and started to unpack, and of course the first thing he did was put Alberto's drawing on the wall beside his bed. The drawing has gotten crinkler than last year, but it was still in good condition, at the very least. Next were his clothes, toothbrush, a couple books and—

"LUCA," there was a blur of red hair as the door bursted wide open. Luca felt like his currently invisible scales were about to fly off his skin, "SCHOOL IS IN 2 WEEKS, and I need to go over a few things to prepare you for your second year— just incase,"

"Next time could you PLEASE knock first?" Luca chuckled as Giulia mindlessly nodded, he knew she probably wasn't paying attention, seeing how ecstatic she was. He didn't mind though, her energetic self has always been pleasant to be around, even if she spooks him from time to time.

"SO. Most things should probably be the same, like subjects, same lunch breaks, same faces, same rules.." she placed her index finger onto her other counting fingers, swaying her head from side to side, as if trying to recall what she wanted to say. "But there's a chance that we may not be in the same class this year, and if that happens, we can always hang out during breaks. Oh and about the same faces part, that may not be entirely true, cause there will be some new students— "

"What will they think of me when they find out I'm a sea monster?" Luca cut in.

"Don't worry Luca, everyone here in our school has been very accepting. I'm sure they'll accept you too! It wasn't so hard showing them the first time right? I'm sure you can do it again,"

"Thank you Giulia,"

"I believe in you Luca," Giulia gave a reassuring grin and pulled him into a hug, he was going to be okay, he can do this. Everything seemed calm for a moment before Giulia's face lit up again at the sound of her mother.

"Giulia! Luca! Dinner is in a few minutes, come down when you're ready,"

And with that, Giulia was out of the room. Luca flopped face down onto the bed and let out a breath of relief, maybe he was just worrying too much about school, if Giulia believes in him, then he can believe in himself too! He did fine the first year right? He rolled over on his side and gazed at the drawing on the wall. He's sure if Alberto were here, he'd be cheering him on right now. Luca grinned at the thought.

With his confidence restored, the boy sprung up from his yellow bed and continued to empty the rest of his belongings from his bag. He placed his books on the shelves, school appliances on the desk and his clothes in the lowest drawer. Once he perfected the position of an object on a shelf, he slipped the luggage under his bed and finally left his room to join Giulia and her mom for dinner.