School Troubles

"Luca! We're going to be LATE, hurry up!" the sound of impatient banging struck from the other side of the door, Giulia paced as she anxiously glanced back and forth at the wooden clock in the hallway.

"I'm almost done! Just a second!"

"Santa Mozzarella, Luca, what time did you sleep last night? We can't just be late on the first day," she lifted her feet up and down in a running motion, until she could take it no longer. Luca could hear her footsteps rushing down the stairs and out of earshot.

"Hey w-wait, don't leave me here!" Luca struggled with the ribbon under the collar of his uniform, he twisted and twisted but no matter how hard he tried, it just didn't look right at all. In a desperate attempt to get this over with, he tied it in a messy, loose knot and clumsily slid his socks on.

He stumbled out his door, bag in hand, and basically flew down the flight of stairs. He snatched his lunch box and a piece of bread from the kitchen and made his way outside, straight for the car. "Mrs Marcovaldo, I am SO sorry, I know I shouldn't have slept so late, but I couldn't stop thinking about school-"

"Dear it's alright, no need to panic. You're just a little late," Mrs Marcovaldo waved a dismissive hand and started up the car casually. She turned around to face him, "just, try not to sleep so late next time."

"Yes ma'am,"

Before Luca buckled his seatbelt, he undid the hideous red bundle around his neck and tried again. This time, successfully creating a ribbon. Huh, perhaps he was in too much of a hurry to do things right earlier, his hands WERE pretty sweaty— oh well. At least he acknowledged his flaws: performing poorly under pressure. He made a mental note to improve on that, at some point.

—————

Giulia traced her finger down the name list on the wall, to both their surprise, Luca and Giulia's name were not on the same list. They looked at each other in disappointment, but not to worry, it's not like they weren't ever going to see each other again.

They said their goodbyes as they walked off in opposite directions, with Giulia turning around midway to mouth a 'good luck' and a thumbs up for a boost of confidence. Luca could feel his palms getting sweatier as he got closer to his classroom, hints of shiny scales starting to emerge as he reached for the doorknob. He swiftly wiped his hands on his uniform and took a deep breath. Here he goes.

Upon entering the classroom, he was greeted by the teacher who was about to do a roll call from the student name list. He took in the sight of the room, there were a couple new faces he did not recognise, and the only seat available was one seat ahead from being in the middle of the room.

He swallowed hard as he shuffled his way between the desks and sat in his new spot. Normally, he would've prefered any seat next to the window, it made him more at ease with his surroundings. But perhaps this change may be beneficial, since looking out the window made him daydream way too often. A change in seat would surely make him more focused.

Luca proved himself wrong as his mind started to drift, the teacher's voice blurring as he thought about what gifts he could get for Alberto this year. This one time, Alberto showed him a magazine about cars, scooters, and all kinds of vehicles. He was really into it, Luca could tell from the look on his face, he was so passionate! If he could get his hands on one of those auto repair manuals, he'll definitely get it for Alberto. Imagine how happy he would be to receive it, he'd be smiling for days. Just thinking about it made his heart race.

"ᵘᶜᵃ...ᵍᵘʳᵒ.." Was someone calling him? Someone definitely was—

"...ˡᵘᶜᵃ ᵖᵃᵍᵘʳᵒ..Luca Paguro?"