Chapter 6

The city was peaceful.

No blaring horns.

Clearer skies.

The pollution levels had declined and the air had become clearer. However, the days seemed to be getting longer, hotter and weirder. Life had become slow for everyone except for those in emergency services. Cases were steadily increasing and the country had started to feel the pinch of the pandemic.

It was seven in the morning and Ruhi woke up to the gorgeous sight of Vicky working out in the balcony.Her eyes soaked in broad shoulders, lithe hips and powerfully built thighs and groaned in frustration. She got out of the bed reluctantly and after shooting him another thirsty look, she stormed into the bathroom.

She must be a pathetic human being, she thought. She was the one constantly endorsing the 'we are friends' strategy. She was not supposed to be so captivated by his dominating yet endearing presence. This was not her fault, she told herself. Why did he have to be so perfect? The perfect eye-candy of a male. It was natural for her to react this way.

It was a Saturday and she didn't have to work. She took a long shower and headed to the kitchenette. Vicky had gone to the supermarket early that morning and got fresh groceries. He was now cutting some tomatoes. The toaster was on.

Ruhi felt a bit guity.

"Good morning." Ruhi said.

"Morning."

"Why don't you take your shower? Let me make the sandwiches." Ruhi offered.

"Feeling guilty, Ruhi? Don't worry. You are going to sanitize all the groceries." Vicky replied with a grin. He took out the bread from the toaster and put a slice of cheese, tomatoes and lettuce in Ruhi's sandwich. For him, he used some Vegan Mayonnaise.

"Okay," Ruhi said and sighed. She hated this sanitizing business.

She removed the groceries out of the bag one by one and put it carefully on a plastic sheet. Then she filled up the sink with water and put some salt, vinegar and turmeric to it. After dropping the veggies into the sink and started scrubbing religiously.

"I told you last time that the virus does not get killed by salt. Or for that matter vinegar. Or turmeric. And how much turmeric have you used?" Vicky exclaimed looking at the water in the sink which looked too yellow.

Ruhi ignored him and continued to clean the vegetables and fruits with gusto.

"Ruhi, I have bought a bottle of produce wash. Use it."

"Okay Mr. Expert Santizer , you do this tiresome job if you are so particular," Ruhi looked exasperated.

Vicky shot her a glare. After putting the sandwich plate on the tiny dining table near the kitchenette, he gently pushed Ruhi aside and pulled out a bottle of produce wash from under the sink.

"I don't want to eat soap," She said in a bored tone.

"This isn't soap. It is totally safe even if ingested." Vicky remarked. "And for your information, sanitizer is a liquid that sanitizes, not a person who does the cleaning."

"I'm not dumb." She muttered under her breath.

Vicky stood next to her. He then poured some liquid into the sink and worked up a lather. But Ruhi was lost when he read out the content list on the bottle. She only saw his virile forearms dusted with dark hair. She was oblivious to everything else.

After what seemed like an eon, Ruhi heard his voice.

"What are you waiting for? Are you satisfied with the contents? There is nothing harmful in it." Vicky said to her.