Chapter Thirteen- One on One (Tommy)

"You know, I never really got the full story. What exactly did you and Nikki agree on? Why are we escaping now?" Tommy finally met my gaze, long, tangled strands of dark hair falling into his face.

"Well, I don't know exactly what you know, but in the future a lot of things get revealed about what you guys have and are about to go through. I'm sure you've started to see the corruption in the industry- the stealing, the control, the forced submission . . . the Satanism," I began slowly, and was encouraged by Tommy nodding in agreement, though hesitantly, "But what I'm really helping you guys leave from is the mind control."

"What mind control?"

"Well . . . I know it sounds strange, but you're being controlled without you knowing."

"How?"

"Ever since you were a child, you've been drugged, abused, and hypnotized so that you would do what they wanted you to do without your conscious knowledge."

A nervous smile played on Tommy's lips, and he swiped a hand over his face, "What are you talking about? Wouldn't I remember some of it at least?"

"No . . . not yet. But you've got to trust me on this. I know what I'm talking about. Listen, just give this a try. I wholeheartedly believe that within a few days of being away from LA, you'll begin to remember because the amnesia is a self-defense mechanism, but if you're away from your abusers and handlers, you won't need it anymore."

A certain faraway look entered Tommy's eyes, and he flopped all the way onto the bed so that he was lying on his back, gazing up in disbelief at the ceiling. Biting my lip, I fell back beside him. "What are you thinking?" I asked softly, wishing I could do something to comfort him.

"It's just . . . you can see how this is hard to believe, right?"

"I get it, but if you see how the industry is rigged, and all of the scary dark stuff in it without even being in it for too long . . . why could this not be true?"

He pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes. "I don't know. I guess I'll just see if any memories come back. If Nikki trusts you, I guess I do too."

"Thanks, Tommy. I just want to see you free." I turned to give him a half hug, seeing as we were lying down, but then I stopped myself and got up off the bed to return downstairs. A hug felt about right at that point in the conversation, but that didn't make it any less strange to actually do- Tommy wasn't much older than I was, and yet I'd seen him at just about every age up until his fifties. Weird.

Oh man, I really liked Tommy and wanted him to be able to use his life the way he alone chose to. 

I tried to be quiet going down the wooden stairs so as not to wake up Nikki, and went around the other way into the kitchen, hoping the man would be in there. He was chopping carrots on a wood counter, and beside him was a boiling pot of something that smelled heavenly.

"Wow, I'm starved. That looks great- what is it?"

The man glanced up with a smile that made it feel as if he was genuinely happy to see me, and he answered while still cutting the carrots, "It's elk stew- and don't worry, it tastes like beef." He chuckled when he saw my expression at the meat he was using. "You can call me Mr. Collins, by the way."

"Nice to meet you Mr. Collins, I'm Sydney, and I'm sure it'll taste great. Say, I'm sure grateful for everything you're doing for us, but I've just gotta ask . . . "

"Why I let three strangers into my house?" He finished for me, and I nodded a little sheepishly. I did feel kind of bad for asking, but I still wanted to know, and sat down at the table a few feet away. "What good is strength in my limbs and breath in my lungs if not to be a good force in the world?"

I paused for a moment, thinking that his answer was a little strange, but I guessed at the end of the day it wasn't a bad thing. "Well, that's great for you! I certainly appreciate your generosity. I don't know where we would've been otherwise."

"Do you mind me asking what happened to your friend?"

"Oh, Nikki. Yeah, he was in a fight of sorts. He caught a gun to the face . . . not that we're gangsters or anything like that. I know we look a little strange, but actually Nikki and Tommy are in a band! They're really great."

"And what do you do?"

"Uh, I guess you could say I'm their manager of sorts."

"I see." He nodded knowingly, and didn't ask any more questions about it- there was something in his eyes that made me feel like he knew more than he let on. But then again, I never had been a good liar.