Prologue - August 1959

Lonely Boy - Paul Anka
"I'm just a lonely boy/Lonely and blue/I'm all alone/With nothin' to do
I've got everything/You could think of/But all I want/Is someone to love"

Todd Anderson sat on his bed as his mother paced around his bedroom, throwing things into his empty suitcases. In just two weeks he would be starting his junior year at  his new school - Welton Academy. He had attended Balincrest for the past few years until his grades were good enough for Welton. Somehow he just barely made the mark, something his parents weren't thrilled with. Jeffrey got into Welton without any trouble.

"Darling," Mrs. Anderson said, holding up a picture frame, "I got this photo for you so you won't miss us so much this year."

Todd looked up to see what picture she was talking about. It was the latest family picture. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson beaming with their arms around Jeffrey, Todd standing slightly to the side. Not quite fitting in, just like he had his whole life. "Thanks, Mom," he muttered.

Mrs. Anderson smiled as she placed the frame on top of a pile of neatly folded white button up shirts. "Are you feeling excited to go to Welton?" she asked. "Jeffrey just loved it there."

"S-Sure," Todd whispered.

Todd wasn't feeling excited. Every time he thought about walking onto Welton's campus, he wanted to throw up.

It wasn't that he would miss Balincrest. Todd had hardly made any friends while he was there and he was forgettable among the teachers. Todd was so lonely there. His nervous stutter kept him from talking with most people so he usually ended up alone. He played defense on the soccer team but spent most of his time on the sidelines, too nervous about getting hit in the face with the ball or doing something to cost them the game. But he would have to start over completely at Welton. And that school was going to be yet another reminder that he was not his brother.

Jeffrey, who was four years older than Todd, was accomplished academically and socially at Welton. He was outgoing, secure, involved, and a genius. He was finishing his engineering degree from MIT (on a full academic scholarship, of course). When Todd was finally accepted into Welton, all his parents could talk about was all Jeffrey accomplished while he was there. "Don't you remember his valedictorian speech?" Mr. Anderson would ask over dinner, Mrs. Anderson nodding enthusiastically and responding with her favorite quote from it. All Todd could do was feign a smile and say nothing.

The most nerve wracking part of starting at Welton for Todd was making friends. At Balincrest he had a few acquaintances he sat with during meals and a different roommate every year (who was always a social butterfly with everyone - but Todd). He was sure most of the boys his age would've known each other for years already, so how would he fit in? Todd just wanted to keep his head down, get good grades, and move on with his life.

What Todd didn't know was that in a few short weeks, he would fit in at Welton. Not only would he become a member of the Dead Poets Society, but he would find his best friends, gain some confidence, discover his passion for writing, and meet Neil Perry.