Chapter Four - December 1961

Please Mr. Postman
"Please, Mr. Postman, look and see/Is there a letter, a letter for me?"

Dear Todd,

How the hell are you? Sorry it's been a while since I last wrote. Sometimes I forget we're finally out of Hellton and you're not just across the hall with Neil anymore. Did Neil tell you that we found out how Knox somehow ended up in the same suite as us? He convinced his parents to pay someone to make it happen, ha! Glad he did though. Still isn't quite the same without you, Meeks, and Pitts not here. Knox's roommate Ken is alright but he definitely wouldn't have been invited in the DPS. How's Columbia? Knox keeps saying we need to come visit some weekend but Neil is too stressed over his workload to go have a fun weekend. His final exams are going to be brutal. Maybe once the semester is over we can come visit. Meeks and Pitts too. Those bastards getting full rides to MIT...

Call our dorm anytime! Knox's mother convinced his dad to buy us a phone because she couldn't bare not being able to talk to her baby whenever she wanted. So call collect and it's all on the Overstreets!

Nuwanda

Dear Neil,

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw a letter from you the other day. Thank you for writing me.

I'm sorry to hear that college has been challenging. I remember those days. But then again, studying English is not the same as pre-med. I'm assuming you never spoke to your father about studying acting instead? I know last time we spoke about that you said your mother made you promise a few more years. Please do what you must for your sake. I hope whatever that is is something you are alright with.

Jessica is doing well and talks about you boys often. Things are much quieter without you all here. The cave hasn't been occupied since you left. We have some exciting news - Jessica is expecting and we're having a baby in February! Please share that with the other boys. We hope the future Keating can become an honorary DPS member one day.

Please keep in touch and send my best wishes to the rest. I hope things get better and remember the joy acting brings you. You'll be able to get that back again one day.

Sincerely,
Mr. Keating

Dear Mother,

Everything's fine. You don't have to ask Mrs. Overstreet to have Knox report back to her on how I'm doing. Classes are hard but that was expected. I'm still adjusting. I think I'll be able to pull all A's by the end of the term so tell Father not to worry. And yes, I'm eating more now. Charlie's making sure I do. I'll call on Sunday.

Love,
Neil

Dear Todd,

I'm worried about you. Jeffrey said you sounded down on the phone the other night. Can we come up and visit you some weekend? I know the semester is almost over, but we'll find time if you'd like that.

I know I'm not your sister yet but I just want you to be happy, no matter what. Please let me know what I can do. I'm really good at writing essays (I am a teacher), so if you need some homework help I'll secretly do that if you want. Or if you just want to call and talk. I promise I'll just listen if you want.

Call me any time!
Love,
Catherine

Jeffrey,

Thanks again for sending me the new J.D. Salinger book. I haven't had time to read it yet but I'll let you know when I do. There's never a shortage of reading from my professors so I might have to wait until Christmas to read it.

I still can't believe you and Catherine are getting married in a few weeks. Mom doesn't let me forget it! Are you two still planning on picking me up from school to drive home?

And no, I haven't spoken with Neil. Whenever I call to talk to Charlie or Knox, he's never there or busy studying. Not that I'd know what to say to him. Charlie acts like Neil and I still talk anyways. He always says, "Did Neil tell you..." I'm not sure what he thinks is going on.

Please tell Catherine I'm okay. I had just had a rough day the last time we spoke on the phone. We were reading A Midsummer's Night Dream in one of my classes and I had to analyze Puck's final monologue and it reminded me of Neil. I'll be fine.

Todd

P.S. - Can we try not to talk about him anymore? It isn't helping.