9

Since Wanda kissed Natasha a few weeks ago, and more surprisingly to her, Natasha kissed her back, Wanda's life had been amazing. She and Natasha were going steady, nothing official, but still meaningful. After long days of car chases and Kung fu fights (at least, that's what Wanda assumed Natasha did all day), the spy would do as she usually did, lumber into the bar and have a nightcap with her favorite bartender. Every so often, if Wanda had a night off, Natasha would take her on a motorcycle ride. Often times they would find a quiet place and stargaze, other times Natasha would drive as fast as Wanda would let her just because she could (though she secretly loved how tightly Wanda clung to her).

As for Natasha, she was lovesick. Despite the feelings of futility about the whole thing, her fear of somehow putting Wanda in danger, the spy decided this was a good thing for her. Wanda was good for her. At least, most of the time. Natasha would argue otherwise, but Clint noticed Natasha wasn't as sharp as usual. She was spacey, off in another world in a job where a half a second of hesitation could get you seriously hurt, or worse.

Also, unfortunately for the pair of spies, the mission's progress had stagnated. Pietro was a good lead, and an easy mark to track, but he wasn't as high up in the ranks of the gang as the two had hoped. Chances were he had never even met the true kingpin, and was still tasked with the drug dealer equivalent of a coffee run. They either needed a new lead, or something new on Pietro, and fast. Rumor had it the gang was growing up fast; getting out of petty crime and drug dealing and leaning more heavily into trafficking and violence.

As much as Natasha didn't want to, especially with her budding relationship, she was very close to asking Wanda for help. It wouldn't be anything crazy, just Wanda meeting up with her brother, wearing a wire, asking a few questions. Natasha didn't want to put Wanda or even her brother at risk, but the trafficking ring was too big of a problem to ignore. If Natasha could save even one person, one girl, from falling into nefarious hands, then it would all be worth it.

After a particularly rough day in the field of beating down bottom feeder baddies, Natasha massaged her sore neck, hopping off her motorcycle. She made the familiar trip from the parking deck to the bar bar, hoping Wanda wouldn't take notice of her unusually haggard state.

Of course, Natasha was wrong.

"You know," Wanda said with a light sigh as she took in the sight of the other woman, a gash on the spies' busted bottom lip gushing. "It was a lot less stressful when I didn't know what you did."

Natasha, signature tired, wry smile gracing her lips, sat down with a relieved huff. "The mystery was more sexy too, huh?"

Wanda leaned down with a paper towel to clean off the other woman's lip, then gave her a quick kiss on both cheeks. "Jury's still out on that one. How was work?"

"Rough."

"I can see. Do anything interesting? Kick any ass?"

"Always." Natasha took a sip from her drink. "What about you? Anyone notable?"

"Two bikers with sexual tension so thick you could cut it," Wanda laughed. "And a kid with a really obvious fake."

"Oh, Peter tried that old trick again?"

"Funny."

  "When does he leave for school, anyway?"

"Two weeks, I think. I've been trying not to think about it."

Natasha frowned, knowing Wanda's history of abandonment. Parents dead, brother fallen to the wrong crowd, her best friend soon enough gallivanting off to college. And through all of that, Wanda stayed, faithfully polishing glasses and serving pints. It was admirable, really. Natasha internally cursed herself, knowing she'd probably have to leave Wanda too someday soon.