Whos the real criminal? ❗️

Disclaimer: talk of abuse, abuse, submitting/ control

Thank you for wanting so long, Suggested by VarianWolf

———————-
"We know how to help Qurin now. We should set him free, I know Varian hurt us but he still should have his dad. Who knows maybe he has be released. With the help from my dad maybe is is better?" Rapunzel said to her Eugene.
"Ya, I do miss the little guy. He was funny and really smart." When they arrived they went straight to Varians house. A cloth was covering the amber based statue of the leader of Old Corona. They ripped the cloth off and were shocked. Seeing the man trapped in amber sent a chill down Rapunzels spine. If she felt this way looking at it, she could only imagine how Varian felt though the months he was alone. Looking at his father trapped in the very creation he made.
"We should have been there for him. He was alone, scard, it was our job to help him though that rough time. His dad could have died and we wouldn't have know. I talk about being there for friends, for not leaving friends behind, but that's what I did to Varian. Not even an adult a 14 year old child. Sure he was smart as an adult but he still was a child at the end of the day and he is going to react like a child would."
"Blondie you can't exscure his behavior"
"I'm not, I'm only saying we shouldn't have been surprise. And what is Qurin going to think".
They wrapped her hair around the amber and she started the incantation. Within minutes the amber had melted away leaving only Qurin. The man fell to the ground and took a few deep breath. Rapunzel ran to his side to make sure he was ok.
"Qurin are you ok? Do you need water or anything" Qurin looked up seeing the Prinsess and Eugene but his son was no where to be seen.
"Varian! Where's my son!" Rapunzel looked over her shoulder at Eugene and he just scratched the back of his neck.
"Um... about that. You might want to sit down. Its a long story." Qurin's heart starting pounding faster, imagining the worst. Did his son get hurt, was he alone, is he even alive? Rapunzel told him everything, not leaving out any detail. Once she was done with the story Qurin looked at the ground, finding it very interesting. He thought about what the prinsess told him, what his son did, how he was alone during all this. No one was with him, a fourteen year old boy was alone to try and sort out his feelings. When he finally looked up he glared at Rapunzel.
"Why was he alone, why did no one come and make sure he was ok. Why did the guards come to my house to try to find part of the Demanatis scroll instead of cheacking up on him. HE LOST HIS FATHER! HE LOST ME! HE HAD NO ONE ELSE! AND YOU WERE SUPRISED HE ACTED OUT!" He screamed at the prinsess. Eugene came in to defend her, claiming what happend was not her fault.
"He had no reason to kidnap the Queen, it was wrong!"
"I'm not saying is ok, but he is fourteen, he can bearly stort out his feelings for girls. People here never liked Varain, with his alchemy and inventions. You guys were his first friends. You guys were the first people; other then me; to accept him and you betrayed his trust. He needed you and you wouldn't help. I can only imagine he drove himself crazy staring up at me everyday. I bet he tried everything to get me out. You said he thought your hair would brake it, and it did, not like how he thought, but it did. Varian is a kind, sweet, gentle boy who would never intentionally hurt someone, but congratulations you drove him to be someone he is not". There was silence in the room. No one knew what they say next.
"Take me to him, I want to see him, he needs to know that I am ok. I need to hug him." Rapunzel nodded. As they walked to the castle Rapunzel replaied what Qurin said. He is right, Varain was alone, and was only a kid. She figured they viewed him older becasue he was so smart and clever, but at the end of the day, he is still just a kid and would react like any fourteen year old would. Rapunzel didnt even notice that they reached the castle. The three walked into the throne room, Rapunzel ran to her father and mother and engulfed them into a hug.
"I missed you so much!"
"Oh I'm so happy your back! We all missed you so much!" The King responded.
"Did you find your destiny?" Her mother asked.
"Yes, and some other things. We were able to set Qurin free" Rapunzel stepped aside. The two royals eyes landed on Qurin's angry ones.
"Qurin, my old friend your-" before the king could finish Qurin put his hand up. Not caring that this was the King, right now this was the man who ignored the signs of the rocks, who ignored his son, who could have stopped all of this from happening.
"I am not your friend. That ended the moment you ignored my son's plea for help, for letting a rumor spread that he attacted Rapunzel the night he asked for help, when Rapunzel herself says thats not true." Fredrick was quick to respond.
"Varian was out of control" Qurin interrupted him.
"The way I herd it he was out of control at the end. He stole a dead flower, you and I both know that had no magic in it. Do you not understand that a fourteen year old's kids emotions dont make sense, they don't know how to handle things well, well I guess you wouldn't know anything about that!" Fredrick was about to respond but Nigel interrupted him.
"How dear you talk to the king that way. We should have you arrested! Your family is crazy!"
"I like to see your try. I'm a member for the brotherhood, I'm a knight" Qurin took a breath, he needed to calm down. Being hostile like this would not let him see Varian.
"I need to see Varian. Please" the King was about to say no, but the Queen intervined.
"Of course you can see your son. We wouldn't want to separate a kid and their parent." She said looking at her husband. She lead them down to the cells, no one talked the whole time.
"He is in the third one. Qurin can I talk to your for one moment, it wont take long." Qurin nodded. The other two went one to look for the kid.
"Qurin I want you to know I dont blame Varian, and I personally was never informed on what happend the day of the storm. I would have cheacked on him. This should never have happend. I never meet the boy before, but what Rapunzel told me he seemed like the sweetest and kindest kid" He apreacated the kind words of the Queen and believed them to be true.
"Thank you your highnesses". Qurin walked down the hall, preparing himself to see his son behind bars. He hated this, his son did not deserve this, non of this would have happend if they would have just been a decent person and make sure he was ok. He meat up with the two others.
"Hey Varian, um how have you been?" Rapunzel asked not knowing what to ask her friend. Could she even call him that, of course she would be delighted to call him a friend again, but could he forgive her, would he want to be friends again? Varian didn't say anything or do anything. Eugene noticed the chain attached to his foot. It was around 5 feet long, just long enough to get to his bed, but not to the bars of the door. He nudged Rapunzels shoulder and pointed it out to her. She was shocked, what kind of help is that. Qurin could only steer at his son he couldn't believe what the Prinsess told him what happend. He felt like a failure as a father. Everything Varian ever did was to make him proud.
"Varian" that made the kid perk up a bit.
"D-dad?" Varians voice was hourse, like it wasn't use to talking.
"Varian I am so sorry" Qurin started to say. Varian got to his feet spun around and ran to the door to touch his father, but he was pulled back by the chain on the floor. He feel and screamed in pain holding his rib cage. The fact that he couldn't touch his father destroyed the boy. He had his dad back, he was out of the amber, but he was still untouchable. It's like life was mocking him, the thing he wanted the most was right in front of him and it was out of reach.
"DAD" Varian looked up and everyone could see the marks and scars on his face, some old, some new. On his left check you could even see fresh blood. Everyone was shocked to see his face.
"Varain what happend to you?" Rapunzel asked the child. Varian just turned away and looked outside.
"Wait why are you still in here? Its been like three months." The response that came next made Rapunzel and Eugenes stomach drop and made Qurin's blood boil.
"I was charged as an adult"
"WHAT! WHY!?"
"Apparently what happend to me dosnt matter. The fact I lost my father, the fact that no one helped me, the fact that no one cared, that fact that the king ignored the rocks in the beginning means nothing. I lost the one person who cared about me. The one person who loved me. When I asked for help, no one cared. I know you couldn't have helped then, I get that now, but after? But it dosnt matter, I deserve to still be in here"
"No you dont Varain. You made a mistake, you were hurt and you acted out, but three months is a long time. What happend to your face?" Eugene asked.
"I dont want to talk about it. I never want to talk about it."
"Varain who hurt you?"
"I SAID NO RAPUNZEL!" Varain realized he just yelled at her, he whipped his heard around, a dark gray haze called fear clouded his once bright blue eyes.
"Please, I'm sorry for yelling, don't hurt me. I will never do it again. Just please, I can't. " he was backing up as far as the chain would let him.
"Varian I wasn't going to hurt you. Why would you think that?" Qurin being smart put the pieces together. He stormed out of there pissed beyond imagin. Varian watched this and he thought his dad walked away from him.
"Dad I'm sorry, come back. Please" sadly Qurin didn't hear this, to much in his head. Thinking of who would hurt his son like that. Eugene ran after him wondering why the man left angry.
"Someone is going to die" he said walking back and forworth with frustration.
"Why?" Eugene asked. Qurin stopped in his track and looked at Eugene as if he was going to kill him.
"Did you not see what I saw. I saw a boy who was chained to the ground, a fourteen year old kid charged as an adult; thats life, a kid who thought he was going to be punished for yelling at Rapunzel, meaning he has gotten hurt. The scars on his face proves it and it wouldn't surprise me that he has scars all over his body as well; seeing the way he held his rib cage when he fell. And who ever has done this will die a very slow and painful death." Rapunzel ran out to where the two men were.
"Qurin you need to comeback Varian thinks your mad at him and that you left him alone." Qurin ran back to the cell where his son was and saw Varian on the floor in a ball crying.
"Dad I'm sorry. Please forgive me, I need you. Dad please" this broke his heart. Varian was once a strong kid and now to see him broken shattered his heart.
"Varain I am right here. Ok, I am not mad at you, I never was. Please Varian tell me who did this to you. Who hurt you?"
"Everyone turned their back on me, so I turned my back on them. I wanted them to know what it was like to loose the people you love. I just wanted you back. I hurt people, I hurt the Queen, I stole form the castle. I deserve the treatment I am given". For the first time sience his wife died, Qurin cried.
"Oh Varain, what did they do to you?" Qurin took a deep breath, crying wasnt going to save his son.
"I will fix this, we will set you free" and he walked out of the dungeons. He was meet with Rapunzel and Eugene, he looked them dead in the eyes.
"You are helping me find out who hurt Varian, and setting him free. What he did was wrong yes, but he is fourteen, he lost me and no one helped him. He was alone to deal with the loss of me. And as you said, he has been in there for three mounts. He is charged as an adult, I dont know if you know this, but thats life, and he is only fourteen" the two nodded.
"Of corse we are going to help. I think we should talk to my father first, he might know"
"NO! The Queen. The king has more of a motive to hurt him, the Queen is forgiving and a mother as well. Mother's have this thing about them." Rapunzel was somewhat offended that he would think that her dad would do such a thing, sure he was angry with Varain but he wouldn't hurt him.
"Qurin, my father said he would get Varian help, I don't think he would hurt him."
"Dose it look like he got help?" Qurin snapped back. "When you went missing, he locked up every criminal they could fined, petty theivs and look what that gave us, Lady Cane. Truth is, when someone threats his family, he's losses all sense of logic." Rapunzel knew about Lady Cane and her story, she was there when she tried to take over the kingdom at her coronation. She nodded.
"Ok, Rapunzel, you go and ask to talk to your mom, bring her in your room and Eugene and I will be waiting there, and then we will ask her if she knows anything." Rapunzel nodded, not likeing the idea of going behind her fathers back, but Varian needed her help and she was not going to let him down a second time. The three left the dugons.
Meanwhile Nigle was heading down to the dugones to meet up with Varian. The boy was still on the floor silently crying. Varain heard the keys giggle and his eyes grew big and his body started to shake. He knew what that sound meant.
"Boy, its time for your punishment" Nigle grinned, eyes filled with power and wickedness. Varian knew he was suppose to get up and stand with his head down and hands behind his back, but he just couldn't. His dad was back, he was alive and he just wanted him right now. He just wanted to be wrapped in his dads arms and be told everything will be alright. Varian knew things wront be, but he wanted to believe things could be. He had given up on the idea that his dad could be saved, but he was wrong, so he wanted to believe he was wrong about his current situation, but deep down he knew things wont chang. What power did his dad have over Nigle?
"Boy I said its time for your punishment, if you do not get up it will be worse!" Varian took a deep breath and did as he was trained to do. He stood up, bowed his head and put his hands behind his back. Nigle unlocked the door and walked behind the boy putting chains on his writs. A single tear ran down his face.
"Say the words" Nigle spoke right in the boys ear, his voice deep and sinister.
"I deserve this, I deserve to be beaten and brutalized" Varain sounded dead. He lost all hope in ever getting help. The only person who he saw was Nigle, there was no one to tell what was happening to him. He knew even if he did no one would belive him and Nigle would only make things worse, if that was even possible. In the beginning, he fought Niggle, he told himself that he would not be broken, but after and month he finally did. Niggle walked him to the room where he got "help". Varain got in the same pose, standing straight, head down and his arms were already behind his back. Niggle released him of his chains but Varian did not move.
"Good boy. Now keel and take off your shirt" Varian did as told and was scard for what was to come next. Nigle was mad, he knew this. Nigle knew that Varian's dad was going to meddle and try to figure out what was going on. Varain heard the loud crack then felt the leather on his back, he knew not to scream so he bit his lip. This went on a few more times, tears running down the boys face, but still no sound was uttered out of his mouth.
"What did you tell them?" Nigle said in a dark tone.
"Nothing" Varain whispered.
"LIES" he whipped the boy again, this time on his legs. He screamed in agony.
"What did you tell the prinsess?"
"Only I deserve it, but nothing else. I swear I wouldn't do that."
"And that you do. You deserve worse, I am being merciful, dont you forget it" Varain nodded.
"Th-thank you" Varain was told to stand in his pose and he did, handcuffs were placed on his wrist and Niggle walked him back to his cell attaching the chain to his ankle. When Niggle was gone and out of ear shot he cried.
"Dad, I'm sorry, but please help me" he murmured to himself. The young alchemist walked to his bed his left leg sticking out a little due to the chain on his leg.
    Qurin and Eugene were waiting in Rapunzels room and the prinsess went to go get her mother. Qurin was passing back and fourth trying to grasp the idea of someone hurting his son like that, grooming his son to believe what was happing to him was ok.
"Qurin you should sit down, you dont look so good"
"Wouldn't YOU NOT LOOK GOOD IF YOU FOUND OUT YOU WERE A HORRIBLE FATHER! OR IN YOUR CASE A HORRIBLE BOYFRIEND WHO DIDNT SEE THE SIGNS OF THE PERSON JUST WANTING TO INPRESS YOU. WOUDLNT YOU NOT LOOK GOOD IF YOU FOUND OUT SOMEONE WAS HURING RAPUNZEL AND SHE BELIVED SHE DESERVVED TO BE TORTURED!?"
"Your not a horrible father. And I know Varian is not a horrible kid. We will find out who is doing this, we will let Varian free. I promis"