Chapter 6

Val's POV

Today March one day since I started at the 118. Buck and I have grown closer same with Eddie and I. Buck is my best friend and Eddie... Well it's complicated.

It's clear we both like each other but we won't say anything to the other because we're afraid of what it might do to our friendship.

I woke up to a text from Travis Montgomery.

Travis: Hey Val I have some off days next month. Can I come and stay with you in LA for a week?

Me: I've been gone a month and already you can't live without me.

Travis: Nope, never mind.

Me: Yes Montgomery you can come and stay. Just text me the dates and time so I can take off to pick you up from the airport and give you a tour of L.A.

Travis: Thanks Val. Never been to L.A before.

Me: You'll love it. K, I have to go I have a shift in a hour.

Travis: Bye Lopez.

Me: Bye Montgomery.

I turned my phone off and just managed to crawl out of the warm comfort of my bed.

I showered last night so I headed straight to the bathroom sink to wash my face with mild a face wash and cold water and then apply my moisturizer.

I made my way to the kitchen and cut up some fruit and mixed it with yogurt as well as poured myself a cup of coffee.

After I finish I put my bowl and cup in the sink and made my way to my car. It was 7:35 so I had only 25 minutes to get to work and it was only a five minute drive.

I parked my car in the back of the station and walked inside where second shift was finishing. I was the first one there so I just put my bag down and got changed into my uniform.

I still had 15 minutes until the start of shift so I decided to make breakfast for everyone, give Cap a break on the cooking. I wound up zoning out for a little bit until I was snapped out of my trance by a familiar voice..... Eddie Diaz.

"Morning Vee."

"Morning Diaz."

"You ok? You're here early and kind of spacing out there for a little."

"Ya I'm good. Just got here early so I had some extra time and decided to make breakfast." I said as I was plating the bacon and pancakes.

We made direct eye contact as our hands glided over each other slightly. I looked away and turned my attention back to making breakfast. It was 8:00 and we were greeted by a rest of the crew and two other familiar faces when they came up to the second floor.

"Good morning Maddie, Morning Athena."

Over the past month I have gotten extremely close to Maddie.

"Morning Vee, We just wanted to say hello to everyone before I took Maddie on her ride along." Athena said.

Bobby, Hen, Chim, Eddie, Buck and I all sat down to eat. "This is really good Lopez." Cap said.

"Thanks Cap."

"Ya where did you learn how to cook like this?" Chim asked.

"I've always had an interest in it and about 3 years ago some of my friends surprised me with one of those master classes taught by Rachael Ray for my birthday."

"Well remind me to thank your friends if they ever come for a visit." Hen said. We were about halfway through breakfast when we got a call and had to leave. Athena and Maddie left too as they needed to get going if it was going to be a successful day.